Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:08 PM   #1
Default Christmas gift for college student

My son is just starting college and has asked for a digi-camera for Christmas. Like most 17 YO he is quite comfortable with technology, doesn't really have a specific camera need - just want a good all around easy to use portable camera. He took a photography class in High School, so he has some photography experience, but isn't a real hobbyist.

I have some price flexibility, but trying to stay UNDER $150 with accessories. I saw that Amazon has Kodak EasyShare Z1485 (14MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5 inch LCD) for $100. I would buy the rechargeable batteries, which brings it up to $130. That is about the same price as some of the well rated canon point and shoots.

The reviews on the Kodak are mixed, but the negatives seem mostly to do with battery life when using regular batteries....

Is the Kodak a good choice or should I be looking somewhere else?
Sheryl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The Kodak Z-1485 is going out of production, that is why the price suddenly dropped. It is a good outdoor camera in very good light, however, indoors the flash must definitely be used and flash range from camera to subject ranges fro 10 to 14 feet.

The Kodak Z-1485 (I own one) is not very tolerant at all with any AA battery. The camera was designed to be powered by the Kodak Klic 8000 battery pack. My Z-1485 did not come with the klic-8000, so I had to purchase the klic-8000 battery pack and charger for around $27.00, if I remember correctly.

Think of it this way, sheryl, the Z-1485 likes a lot of light, so you are going to have to be outside in good light, or make good use of the built-in flash unit. It would not be my #1 choice. I have attached a sample photo taken using the Z-1485's built-in flash unit.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:55 PM   #3

Amazon also lists the Panasonic FS7 and Pentax Optio P70 at well under $150.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4

Panasonic Dmc-LS85 in black. Well rated in Consumer Reports, December 2009. Excellent dynamic range, best picture quality out to asa 400, etc. Retail only $120, being sold for around $100. It takes AA batteries, easy to find. Small enough. 4x optical zoom, optical image stabilization, wide angle (16:9) movie mode, Leica lens (many say it is the best lens company).

Get a 4GB class 6 memory card for around $20 or less at say Newegg, a nice case at Best Buy for about $15-20 and some extra alkaline (say Energizer) AA batteries or Nimh (AA size) rechargeables. That will take you to your target price of around $150.
rich12072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:43 AM   #5

in my opinion i would stay out of AA battery cameras.
the batteries go out quickly and with flash on it goes even quicker.
i would chose one of these sony cameras. they are around the $150 mark, u might even get a better deal if u negotiate with the sales person.

Sony DSC-W230

Sony DSC-W220

Sony DSC-W190
Bruno28 is offline   Reply With Quote