Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:24 PM   #1
Default Compact for Indoor and Travel

Hello. I am currently looking for a compact camera to use when I donít want to carry my SLR, especially for quick photos while travelling or for photos indoors at parties or weddings (when I am a guest). My current compact camera gives terrible indoor photos and results in terrible red eye. I know that a compact camera will never be as good as my SLR, but I would like it to be able to take indoor photos without causing terrible red eye and without noise at the lower ISO speeds.

After reading a lot of reviews, I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Canon SD990 IS
Panasonic Lumix DCM ZS3
Ricoh CX2

If anyone has used any of these cameras and can recommend one over the other, I would much appreciate your advice.

Thank you.
mhnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:43 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Your idea is an excellent on. As a DSLR user I also have a point and shoot back-up camera. The problem with the cameras you have selected, is something just as we saw Canon facing with their introduction of the 10mp G-11 model to replace the G-10 which was a 14mp camera.

The cameras on your list face a pixel density problem, which will degrade the images created. You would do better with a 10mp camera like the Panasonic LX-3 or another 10mp camera of your choice, equipped with a Slave Flash.

Most point and shoot camera have a built-in flash unit that only has a limited flash range. To get good photos of groups such as you would take at a wedding reception, you will need a flash that operates like the external flash on your DSLR, that is why I added the slave flash to the package. I have attached a phot showing a point and shoot camera equipped with a powerful slave flash.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice, Sarah. I had not considered the LX-3 before, but I will certainly do so now.
mhnstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the LX3 is a great compact. its has many features and image quality to satisfy those who use dlsrs as their primary camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote