Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:44 AM   #11

"IMHO, in this digital age, optical view finders are redundant and do not serve any real purpose otherwise than putting back some nostalgic appeal."

You don't happen to sell LCD display modules by any chance, do you?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:10 PM   #12

Very helpful feedback, all!

So, the ideal would be a big sensor, low megapixel count, and, for my birding, high optical zoom. Toss in image stabilization and a smallish size and I'd have the ideal camera. Alas, I fear it doesn't exist!

I did discover that most of the recent Canons (if not all) no longer support Remote Capture, which means I'll have to keep the A70 around for pics of hummingbird on our feeders!

I was getting interested in an older Canon model, A720 IS, 6x optical zoom, 8 megapixels, optical viewfinder, but it's no longer available. (I missed some close out refurbished sales by reputable outfits in the past couple of months.) The bidding on ebay is also crazy on these things!

Happy New Year, all!
astroman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:03 PM   #13

The big sensor will come with a $400+ price tag in most cases. Depending on your idea of "smallish size", there are various SLR-like ultrazooms (smile birdy) for $350 or less. Like most of us, you may need more than one camera ....

KCook is offline   Reply With Quote