Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you recommend more? Thanks!
Sony DSC-W150 1 25.00%
Panasonic Lumix FX35 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:20 PM   #1
Default Sony W150 vs Panasonic FX35

Hi guys,

I would appreciate your expert opinion on choosing between these two:

Sony DSC-W150 - 30mm wide lens, 5x zoom, optical stabilization, 8Mpix, 2.7'' LCD
Panasonic Lumix FX35 - 25mm wide, 4x zoom, optical stabilization, 10Mpix, 2.5'' LCD

I would use it mostly for travel photos, so completely amateur use, I think I'd like what wide lenses can provide (haven't used a wide-lens camera yet), but it seems to me that zoom is important in this case too. Relatively good (as possible, of course, in this class) low light indoor photos would also be nice

Which one do you think would be better and why?

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate your time and effort helping!
protech_v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Based on my own experience, the Sony W-series camera have declined in image quality. So, I would opt for the Panasonic FX-35 based on better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

In general the Panasonic digicams perform better than their sony bretheren at this newer generation. so i would think the fx35 to be the safer bet.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:35 PM   #4

Hi Sarah,

thank you very much for your opinion and I apologize for the "guys" in my post. It's always great to see female experts on this kind of forums and I wish there were more!

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to other opinions!

Thanks Hards80!
protech_v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:57 PM   #5

I always have a problem with polls, and yours is no exception. You’re asking us to recommend one of these two cameras, but you really haven’t given us a lot of criteria to go on. Travel photos...amateur use...wide angle...zoom - there’s dozens of cameras out there that would be great for those intended purposes. But then when you said, “Relatively good (as possible, of course, in this class) low light indoor photos would also be nice”. I quickly made up my mind - neither. From the sample photos I’ve seen taken with these cameras, I wouldn’t expect much in the low light arena. Take a peek at Fuji’s F100fd and F70EXR...but don’t believe me - see for yourself...

Go here:

From the drop-down menu on the left side, select FX-35..*****oll down to Still-life 400...click on the pic, then click on the thumbnail. When the picture finishes opening, scroll down to the crayon box. How does it look? It better be pretty good, because you’re going to need to go to ISO 400 in any kind of marginal lighting situations - even outside on a cloudy day.

Leave that pic up, and select the Fuji F100fd from the drop-down menu on the right side. Scroll down to Still-life 800. That’s right - I said 800 - we’re going to give the Fuji a severe handicap here. Scroll down to the crayon box - which one looks better? Color saturation? Sharpness? Clarity? Noise? Don’t forget you’re comparing ISO 800 to ISO 400. Don’t select the Still-life 400 on the Fuji - that would be an unfair comparison (sorry Panny fans).

Good luck with your search.

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote