Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Default Waterproof/shockproof P & S?

I will upgrade my point and shoot that I use for work at some point in the future. Do any of you have any experience with the cameras advertised as "shockproof?"
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 PM   #2

ttt. Any experience on these cameras? I think one is the Olympus Stylus 700.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:55 AM   #3

The Stylus 700 is a rather dated model (introduced in 2006), and it's "weatherproof" but not "shockproof". They offered a Stylus 720 that was waterproof and shockproof (but, make sure to read the specs on what they consider to be waterproof and shockproof), but it's also a rather dated model from 2006.

If you look at the list of Olympus camera reviews here, you'll see models with a suffix of SW that you'll want to compare in the Olympus lineup. For example, the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW.

But, the newest Olympus models with similar features are called the Olympus Stylus Tough series (for example, the Stylus Tough 6000 and Stylus Tough 8000).

The list in the middle of this page is sorted by newest review first. You'll find some reviews of those models here:

You can also find cameras with similar specifications from other Camera Manufacturers. For example, Canon has a new Powershot D10, and Pentax offers an Optio W series. For example, the newer Optio W80. You'll find reviews for those here, too.

Here's a list of Pentax models (look for the W series models like the W80 and W60):

Here's the only Canon with similar features:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Checked the reviews and prices. I use a 6 yr old P & S for all my photos. I am about to upgrade to a DSLR for my important photos, but will need a camera for work and play.

Work: I need snapshots of buildings (interior/exterior), building sites, and outdoor shots of tracts of land. This involves a lot of getting in and out of vehicles, which invariably results in the camera dropping to the pavement.

Play: We are talking about kayaking, fishing, hunting, and basically keeping up with a 5 and 3 yr old.

I am usually suspect of "waterproof" claims, and I will not be going to the bottom of the lake trying to take a photo of a turtle. My main concern is rain, and the occasional exposure to a river or lake. The "shockproof" option is of more interest, because over the course of the past 6 years, my current camera has gotten knowcked around a bit.

Any personal experiences would be helpful.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:04 PM   #5

I have the Panasonic TS1 and it really is waterproof... as in you can take it in the pool, snorkeling, etc. I've only dropped it once - from kitchen table height - and it was fine. Image quality is quite good, which isn't necessarily a given in this class of camera.

The TS1 is rated at waterproof to 3 meters and shockproof to 1.3 meters. Its lens has a 28-129mm (equivalent) range and it's LCD is 2.7 inches. It has optical image stabilizer and "Intelligent Auto" mode (which really works well) as well as a number of scene modes, which contributes to image quality. You can select between three aspect ratios: 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9, which is a big plus. It offers 720p high-definition video in the AVCHD Lite format.

There are other waterproof and shockproof cameras that offer higher specs in particular categories. Some can go deeper in the water, others offer a bit more shock resistance. But the Canon and Panasonic seem to offer the best image quality in this class. For me, the Panasonic was the best overall compromise.

Also... one more note: Make sure you read the owners manual that comes with any of these cameras for instructions on how to handle the device and maintain waterproofness. Most say you need to replace the gaskets every year. I think if you're not using the camera for real underwater use and simply want weather resistance, you can get away with every 2-3 years.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote