Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:05 PM   #1
Default New poster wants to buy a D90 or D5000

Looking for input on my next purchase. I have a d70s and want to get a new Nikon camera.
Rotten Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:08 PM   #2

The D90 will fit all the nikon lenses, D5000 you can only use AF-s and AF-i nikon lenses. If you have ff nikon lenses, get the D90. And welcome.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:42 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums. I'll move this thread down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, where you'll be more likely to get more input.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:24 PM   #4

The D90 has a better LCD display, but it doesn't articulate the way the one on the D5000 does. The D90 can use all Nikkor AF lenses, but because the D5000 doesn't have the built-in autofocus motor, it can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses. The D90 has a larger, brighter optical viewfinder. The D90 has a Depth-of-Field Preview Button that the D5000 lacks. The D90 has Flash Bracketing that the D5000 lacks, and it can control multiple flashes wirelessly, while the D5000 can't. The D90 can take a lot more photos on a single battery charge, and it can use a battery pack/vertical grip. The D5000 has more scene modes, and can do more post processing in the camera.

The D90 is a more 'Prosumer' camera, while the D5000 is more of a dSLR for beginners.

After you've been using your D70s all this time, I think you'd be disappointed with the D5000.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote