Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:23 PM   #1
Default Looking for help on selecting a new camera

So I'm looking for a new camera in the $200-300 range. I'm willing to spend a little more if the product is worth it. I want something with a good zoom on it and at least 10mp. So far I've been looking into the following..

FujiFilm Finepix S1500 - $199.99
Nikon Coolpix L100 - $199
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20/B - $249
Canon Powershot SX120 IS -$199
Kodak EasyShare Z950 - $238

I'm 100% open minded to anything else in that price range anyone knows of thats far better. I also want to take pictures at night.

kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:07 AM   #2

canon SX200 is has come down in price, you can find it for about 300. It has a 12x zoom, 12mp sensor, and does hd video at 720. It is still a pretty compact camera if that is a concern.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:13 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The SX-200 is clearly the first choice in your group. However, while it does HD video, it currently does not zoom while filming. A fix is in the process, and soon it will have that zoom capability, I have read, but the current stock does not zoom on a video.

Following the SX-200, you have the Sony H-20 which has also just fallen in price. It does not have a wide angle, but it has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash in the class, does HD video and you can indeed zoom while filming.

The fall off in features below the H-20 is fast and there is no HD video. The best of the remainders in your group would be the Fuji F-70EXR followed by the Kodak Z-950. The other cameras are not worth considering. The Fuji F-70EXR does have a learning curve to it as the EXR system is a bit complicated.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote