Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:36 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Chetc View Post
Hey Shoturtle

Is that pic in your postings an FZ1

No it is a SV1000S a friend to with a p&s took it of me, it not very good, but I like the looks.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 31, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:21 AM   #12

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

So the first decision is this: could the proposed shots be easily handled by a super zoom camera, or is a DSLR camera really needed in this case? As I see it, the majority of his photos when outdoors will be made during the daylight hours, and the family snaps of grand children and the like could easily handled indoors using the sup zoom camera's built-in flash unit.
Sarah Joyce

Damn...there's that BIG question again....
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:30 PM   #13

Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Damn...there's that BIG question again....
It's more a question for friend, is it?

Mention these forums to your friend and see if he wants to participate directly.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 31, 2009 at 2:07 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:52 PM   #14
Default Your friend needs to do some research.

As some of the other posts mention, focal length of the lens is important for nature shots. I have a Nikon D300 and keep a Tamron 18-200mm lens on it about 70% of the time. For sports, I use the Nikon 70-300mm. The VR feature really makes a difference, but I also use a mono-pod for most sports shots. I have a daughter who is in the marching band in HS. All of their competitions are at night in outdoor stadiums. I use a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens for that and have gotten great results. For nature photography, even a 300mm lens can leave you woefully short of how close up you would like to get. I have a Tamron 200-500mm that I use sporadically for some sports photography, but almost all the time for any nature shots. Most wildlife is very shy, and if you are less than 100' away, the smallest click of the shutter will likely scare them off. The 200-500mm lets me stay some distance away and yet I can zoom in right where I want to be.
I used to be a die hard Canon fan back in the 35mm film days, but I think that Nikon has somewhat of an edge with digital photography. Many of the controls of the Nikon can be adjusted without moving the camera from my face. The same controls on the Canon are menu driven and you must scroll thru menus to make the change. Otherwise Canons are every bit as good as the Nikons.
One last thing. I hate to spend your friend's money for him, but I wouldn't waste too much time trying to make any older style lenses work on the digital SLR's. They will work (sometimes,) but my brother found out the hard way. He had an older Nikon lens that he tried to use on his Nikon D200, and all he got was frustration.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote