Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:16 PM   #1
Default Need a new camera for trip and general use

Hey y'all! So I'm a college student and this summer I'm hopefully going to Australia for a month and Fiji for a week over the summer for study abroad and I need a new camera because I hate my old Kodak one. I'm probably just going to put them on facebook and not actually print them out. I also would like a camera that is good for everyday situations that I can just upload online. So I just really want one with good image quality, portable, and has a decent battery life. The front-runners so far are the Sony H20, Canon sd780 IS, and a panasonic TZ7 I think. I'm completely open to other cameras too as I have no clue what would be best. So any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Budget is up to around $300.

Last edited by ugaswimmer27; Jan 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM.
ugaswimmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Those are 3 good choices.

The Sony offers the best flash, and good video, it is physically quite a bit larger than the other 2 cameras mentioned, which may make it difficult to throw in a pocket, etc. It also lacks a real wide-angle lens, so it may not work the best for landscapes and cityscapes for your trip.

the Panasonic TZ7 gives you a very large zoom range that includes a real wide-angle that also gives you a lot of zoom range as well in a quite portable package with good video. This is probably the most versatile choice in a pocket-size camera and would probably be my choice. It's sister camera the ZS1 gives you the same wide angle lens, with slightly less zoom range and similar image quality in a slightly smaller package that may be worth a look as well.

the Canon is definitely the most portable option, but i would probably choose the Canon S940IS over this model. They are very similar, but the 940IS gives you a true wide-angle lens which will be helpful in your travel photos. The 940IS would be a great option if portability is of primary concern. it doesnt have the zoom range of either of the Panasonic's though.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We are glad you dropped by.

Keep in mind that the Panasonic TZ-7 is known as the ZS-3 in the USA. That camera, the TZ-7/ZS-3, is one of the better featured of the three cameras that you have listed. But is held back by its very small and very weak built-in flash unit that is capable only of fair to poor image quality indoors.

In contrast the Sony H-20, although only slightly larger than the TZ-7/ZS-3 is the clearly the best featured camera in the group with the best automatic mode and best built-in flash unit in class. It also does HD video and you can zoom while filming.

The Canon SD-780 does take HD video, but it is not stellar with still picture image quality. It would be my last choice. The best alternative to the the SD-780 would be the SD-940, as Hards has noted above.

Have a great day, and Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote