Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:12 PM   #1
Default worth the extra 50-200mm lens?

I'm about to buy a camera that originally comes with an 18-55mm zoom lens, and an optional DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED Digital Zoom Lens for around 88$ more.

Now i'm wondering what are the features of that second lens, since I dont have much knowledge about lenses, and is it worth it for the extra price?
aimemethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:12 PM   #2

For someone like me, it's definitely worth the extra cost. The kit lens covers lots of situations from fairly wide angle to slightly telephoto, but at 55 mm, it's not very long. So if you want to magnify things more, you'll need a longer lens. I like zooming in on subjects, so the 50-200 was the first extra lens I bought. It's quality is pretty good, definitely worth more than the $88 they are asking for it in a 2 lens kit.

While you aren't going to be buying a Tamron lens (they are a third party lens manufacturer), I really like their focal length comparison tool, found at: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php . You can use it to see what the various numbers mean (i.e., what kind of view you get at 18 mm vs. 200 mm). That will give you an idea of whether you would use the 50-200 in addition to the 18-55.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:29 AM   #3

If you look at it, that lens by it self is a 220 lens. You are getting for 88 which is a good deal, and will give you some reach where the 18-55 is too short.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:28 AM   #4

The Pentax 50-200mm lens is a very useful lens that, you, on a one time basis, are able to get at a very sizable discount. Get it! Even if you decided that you did not need it (which I highly doubt), you could sell it on E-Bay as a used lens for $175 to $190.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:40 AM   #5

Ok, thanks for the advice guys, unless i'm really short on the money, i'll buy it.
aimemethe is offline   Reply With Quote