Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:30 PM   #31
Super Moderator

if you want to do general shots, making artistic views of everyday things. and just sparingly some wildlife, then really any dslr's autofocus system will be more than adequate.

the pentax's strengths are its high iso performance, overall good performance, and abundance of features like 720p video, hdr in camera, etc, for the price.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:39 PM   #32

My first camera was a Kodak Bantam. Concerning focus point lights. As shoturtle said, it is probably a matter of that you are used to in every day shooting. For me, it is part of my work flow.

BTW the Canon XS will actually show you the photo's focus point in the Play Back Mode. It is just me: selective sharpness is really an issue.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:51 PM   #33

Well form what I hear, the AF system on the k-x has gotten better to even it's big brother the K7. But the really advantage of the canon AF is in AI focus and AI servo modes, where it is making constant correction. It is most likely the best AF system out there of any of the makers. So when shooting action, the camera is always correcting for the moving target.

With the K-x you get 720 hd, hdr and allot of art filters built in. The canon t1i you get 1080 HD, best AF system out there, higher pixel count giving high crop photo quality and more available lenses. Is the benefits of the T1i worth the add cost.

Form my personal experience with my brother, the added cost was not worth it for him, and the art filter would make it easier for his dslr transition. And I am a T1i owner. The T1i may be the gold standard, but the k-x measure up pretty good against it. Only you will know if the added cost is worth it for you.

But for your shooting need it will really not make much of a different between the canon T1i and the K-x. Both have strong ISO of 12800. So low light is not an issue. I would not be suprise if the k-x at 12800 in a not as nosiey as the t1i with the larger sensor size.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 2:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:34 PM   #34

So what does the Pentax do, that would make it worthwhile? It's excellent in low light, and coupled with a number of very nice, small fast prime lenses that Pentax makes really make it outstanding for portraits, street photography and landscapes. The small primes are excellent quality and with the Kx would make a rather "stealth" camera for street photography.

Not only can the Pentax use auto focus lenses, they can use any Pentax lens ever produced, and as long as they are K-mount, they will retain whatever capability the lens had new. That means you can pick up some auto exposure/manual focus lenses and they will continue to be auto exposure/manual focus. Since auto focus can be a liability for macro, it's nice to be able to buy a top-quality older macro lens for a lot less than a new one. You can also use M42 screw-mount lenses with an adaptor. And all of those lenses are stabilized.

The autofocus does reasonably well with birds, though I admit I've only shot birds once with an autofocus lens - before that all of my sports and birds have been done with a manual focus 300 mm lens so I don't have much to compare it to. I did get quite a few more shots the one time I tried it, and was actually quite happy with it. From what I've read, it would be easier with the Canon's system, but since my birding is limited and I was quite happy with what I got, I'm not interested in switching. Besides, I would have spent quite a bit more money to get same quality and stabilized lenses if I had bought a Canon. Also, the Canon that I would have upgraded to would have been heavier and larger than the Pentax camera(s) I have and I would have struggled with it.

P.S. The various in-camera processing capabilities, for the most part, leave me cold and there's only one that I have ever used, and it's about the last thing I would consider when buying a camera. The in-camera HDR, which is a real, 3 frame HDR, is useful in some situations and will be worth something for some.

Last edited by mtngal; Jan 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote