Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Default Planning to buy Panasonic ZS3/TZ7. Need suggestions??

Hello Everyone,
I am planning to buy Panasonic ZS3/TZ7. I need your suggestions if I should go for it or not...
What i am looking for is:

High Zoom
More of an Automatic camera (i.e. less manual controls as i dont understand 99% of them)
Price less that USD 250

With these constraints I guess Panasonic ZS3 does good. But I am a little confused as i am not much a photographer. I will be using this camera mostly for my trips to places, etc.

Thanks in advance.
lavanyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The ZS3/TZ7 is a great travel camera. Has a nice zoom starting at a nice wide-angle for landscape/cityscape shots. and image quality is good, particularly outdoors.

if you do alot of shots inside that require a flash. or don't need a zoom with such a wide-angle lens, the Sony H20 does a better job for inside/flash shots.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:52 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by. A bit of background: the ZS-1 and ZS-3 cameras have been real winners for Panasonic. They have a lot of users and it would not be logical to leave them without an upward market replacement.

The rumor within the camera industry is that Panasonic has been quietly doing a bit of market testing with the progressive introduction in October and Novemember 2009 of the ZR-1 model to the world markets.

The ZR-1 has a 25mm to 200mm optical zoom, with improved image stabilization, and a brand new processor that once again eats away nicely at the problem of electronic noise inherent with higher ISO settings. The ZR-1, with hardly any advertising, has already established itself in the camera marketplace. The rumor is that the follow-on camera for the ZS-1/ZS-3 twins will be a new camera incorporating the improved IS and the new processor of the ZR-1 merged with the lens of the ZS-1/ZS-3 cameras. That announcement is due around the end of February at the PMA show.

In the meantime, prices on the ZS-3, in particular, have begun to drop. Amazon had it this week at $235, an all time low since its introduction. So if you want a bargain, go for the ZS-3. If you want the latest and the greatest, go for the ZS-3 replacement which will probably be announced in a month or so.

News Flash: Panasonic has just introduced the ZS-7 as the replacement to the current ZS-3 camera. It will use the improved IS system and new imager, pioneered on the ZR-1. It will have a 3.0" LCD screen. It will also feature a set of full manual controls, the AVCHD Lite movie format, and SDXC chip support. The zoom range remains the same (25-300mm) giving it the same 12X optical zoom.

Also announced was the ZX-3 with 8X optical zoom and 14mp of resolution. It will include a "Happy Mode," an AVCHD Lite HD video mode, and SDXC card support. The ZX-3 will mostly automatic controls of the ZR-1, ZS-1, and the ZS-3. The ZR-1 after a very short life span falls out of the Panasonic line-up.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote