Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:33 PM   #11

I want to thank you all for contributing with information here in this thread! It seems that it's not all that difficult to obtain a halv-decent wideangle-lens for my G1 after all.

This new development with the new Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 gives me some hope for the future. Mind you, here in Norway they anticipate sales of this lens not to start until late April / early May, so it will have to wait a while. The cost her in this country is anticipated to be NOK. 4.999,- which is roughly $ 845,- That's not far off the Tokina 11-16mm, which is $ 922,- here.

But then - I never liked to play the part of a 'guinea-pig' and be one of the first to buy a unknown lens. Having had Olympus-lenses (M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/2,8 Pancake for m4/3rds) before I dread som possible CA - something I am not used to at all with my former Panasonic-lenses.

Anyway, the lens in question, the Sigma 10-20mm f4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM for 4/3rds is no longer an option for me, after having read tCav's advise of reading some more about it.

What really frightened me, was different personal reviews I read today, about this lens, where buyers had to return one copy after another, before they finally got one example that was sharp and didn't back- or front-focus!! That's telling something about Sigma's quality-check - doesn't it...?

- Thanks again for all of your brain-storming! I enjoyed that!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote