Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:20 AM   #1
Default Need advice on point and shoot digital...please!!

I have done so much research and am even more lost that I was when i started! I currently have a Canon Powershot S2 and love it. I bought it years ago and still havent figured it out but I do love the pictures it takes.
I am looking for something much smaller, lighter and compact to fit in my pocket.
I want the most bang for my buck but I do not want to spend a lot!
I picked up a nikon s570 yesterday and although i like the pics, I DO NOT like how slow it is and I mean slow....
Does anyone have any advice on a nice compact camera with a nice optical zoom, good picture quality and something that is able to take good action, and all around pics for a reasonable price?
Please help!
cjirinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:50 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We delighted that you dropped by.

The compact zoom camera category is one of the hottest market segments of the camera industry today. Canon, Panasonic, and Sony are the three largest participants in this market segment. Examples are the Canon SX-210, the Panasonic ZS-7, and the Sony HX-5. These cameras, all newly introduced are priced at around the $350 mark. They provide 10 to 14X optical zoom and all feature a wide angle position within their zoom range and HD video.

As they are newly introduced, we are awaiting the professional reviews of these three new cameras. The Canon SX-210 replaces the existing SX-200. The Panasonic ZS-7 replaces the current ZS-3. The Sony HX-5 is a totally new camera using the CMOS imager technology that Sony pioneered with the HX-1, TX-1, and WX-1 cameras last year.

The PMA show begins next week, on February 21st. We will hear much more about these three new cameras, from then onward, and see the first professional reviews in the following months.

You can check out the camera that these new cameras are replacing , or follow the new cameras. Regarding you Nikon S-570 experience: Nikon has done well with their DSLR cameras, but their P+S cameras in the last several years have been plain vanilla and nothing better than "so-so.".

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 16, 2010 at 9:53 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote