Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Default Helping finding compact camera replaement

I am looking to replace my old Canon SD300. I loved the camera but it is starting to act up.

I was considering the Canon SD780, Canon SD940, and the Panasonic Lumix ZR1. However, I would also be open to other suggestions.

Here are my most important considerations for a new camera:
1) Picture Quality
2) Size - should be easy to put in my pocket or throw in a small bag
3) Optical zoom - I have found more optical zoom is helpful. I also have a Fuji S6000fd and found the 10x zoom helpful. But picture quality is more important to me than more zoom.
4) Price - Looking to stay in the $200-250 range

I have loved my Canon and wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer model, but the ZR1 has a lot to offer. I would love to get your suggestions.
10nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:54 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The weak spot of Panasonic's ZR and Zs-series cameras is their very small, and weak built-in flash unit. That adversely affects the indoor image quality. You can create a work around by using a slave flash, to provide the additional light required, but that is an added expense. Otherwise the ZR-1 will rapidly escalate the ISO setting in an attempt to get the photo, and the image quality takes a huge hit.

Right out of the box, Canons SD-780 has the edge and the SD-940 an even better edge. The ultimate solution would be the Canon S-90. However, the much larger price tag just about rules the S-90 out.

The Sony H-20 and just introduced Sony H-55 with a 25mm wide angle and 10X optical zoom, HD video and the ability to zoom while filming seems to offer a lot as well. Both are priced at $(US) 250.00 and below.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote