Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:06 AM   #1
Default DSLR lens refresher

I am coming to the end of my search for a DSLR, and have a question on availability of lenses. To recap, I am looking at a broad range of cameras, including the Oly E520 kit with 14-42 and 40-150 or 70-300, Pentax Kx 18-55 and 55-300, and the Canon Xs, Xsi and T1i kits.

Will any of the brands have a huge advantage over other brands as far as availability of lenses?
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:13 AM   #2

Well, it depends on what you mean by lens availability. For example, Pentax cameras can work with any pentax lens ever made. So if you are comfortable buying off the used market and don't mind manual focus and even manual aperture that is a strong suit of the Pentax line.

On the flip side, canon offers the largest selection of still in production lenses for any system. Also a strong presence in local camera stores in the USA. So it can be easier to find a local copy of a lens if you need to.

Olympus has some fantastic quality lenses at a decent price. All lenses being used have been specifically designed for DSLR use on the 4/3 system so quality is fairly high. As opposed to say some of the older Canon lenses that are a little long in the tooth.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:16 AM   #3

John, from your response it sounds like I won't go wrong either way. Thanks
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:45 AM   #4

You will be fine with anyone one of them. And the kit lenses on both of them will actually fit most of you everyday needs.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote