Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:39 AM   #21

Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
I am slightly confused as to why a very big zoom range seems to have become a priority?
Because - people want a "better" point and shoot. "convenience" is higher on the priority list than "quality" to many shooters. I don't say that in a condescending way - it is what it is. People want the features of a DSLR but the convenience and ease of use of a point-and-shoot. They had big zoom ranges with the point and shoots and don't want to give that benefit up to gain the increased quality of dedicated lenses and forethought to composition. Again, it's just different priorities than you have Craig. Fortunately the benefit of DSLRs today is that both needs can be met. High quality dedicated lenses for those that value quality over convenience and superzoom lenses for those that value convenience over quality. And moderate zooms for those that want a mixture of both.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:50 AM   #22
Super Moderator

The OP is going to the Himalayas.

He gave no indication that a large zoom range was necessary or desirable. I would suggest it most likely that he is going to want to take pictures of the scenery and the people he meets.

Odds of being stuck in the back row at a school play are fairly low I suspect. Likewise, I suspect that childrens' sporting activities will be fairly sparse. I stand to be corrected of course.

There are some people who like to do landscape shooting with telephoto lenses, I would suggest however that they are in the minority.

Most people would be looking for only 1 or 2 focal lengths as important for this sort of trip: a nice wide-angle and a normal or short telephoto. A standard zoom of 28-70 (35mm equivalent) would probably be fine. Image quality is important for a once-in-a-lifetime trek, but so too is keeping weight down.

To that end I think that something like one of the new m4/3 cameras would be very good, but they might exceed the budget slightly. Alternatively something like the Canon G11 or S90, or the Panasonic LX3 would likely fit the bill. Or a simple small DSLR with kit lens would probably be fine too.

Absolutely the LAST thing I would take on a trip like this is a P&S superzoom.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:51 AM   #23

I like the m4/3 idea, but I am afraid that the price exceeds the OP's $(US)400.00 budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote