Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Resell or not Resell, that is the question.
Sell and purchase the Ricoh. 0 0%
Keep the Canon 40d. 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:23 PM   #1
Default Help? Canon 40d or Ricoh Digital 2/3

I'm really not sure how to explain my situation. I am going to California Institute of the Arts for Photography and Imaging next semester and I'm trying to transition from film to dslr. I decided it was time to purchase my own digital. Owning a Canon film EOS Rebel XS, I did my research and decided a Canon 40d was impressive and in my price range. The day the camera arrived, I went online to look for lenses. The lens I have been using for my film was a 35mm, and not very compatible with the auto-focus on my new Canon 40d.

While looking into lenses I stumbled over the Ricoh cameras. It seems to deliver all the basic necessities of photography as well as being a great size to easily travel with me in a pocket. Although I am aware of the magnitude of the Canon 40d that I am very anxious for, I am curious as to if I should resell this new purchase and buy the Ricoh DII or DIII and just wait..

Like I said, I am virgin to digital photography, but not photography in general. I maybe just haven't had to the time to fall in love with my Canon dslr (since I haven't even used it yet and I just received it today), but when it comes to considering haulage, I consider selling it so I can be able to do my thing in the moment. What do you think?

*Also, in the case that I keep my Canon 40d, which lens do you recommend me purchasing? For now, my price range is around $100 used or new.

Last edited by vansio; Mar 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM.
vansio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

to be honest, there is really no comparison between a compact digicam like the Ricoh GR and a DSLR like the 40D. those Ricoh's have small sensors and fixed lenses.

If you plan to go to school for this, i recommend keeping the 40d. Pick up the image stabilized kit lens from the used market <100$ and learn to use it.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:49 PM   #3

1. Keep the film Rebel XS because you won't get that much for them anyway - at least I can't for my AE-1 and T70, both of which pre-date your Rebel XS (that also made my FD lens obsolete! grrrr)

2. You do realize that the Ricoh comes with a prime lens (i.e. non-zoom) equivalent to the 35mm that you have. Nice, but limiting.

3. What do the professors at California Institute of the Arts for Photography recommend? Obviously, you haven't had any classes yet, but is it suggested in any of the Institute's literature? You may want to put purchase plans on hold and cash in reserve until you have a little direction. (They may be estatic that you have a film camera with manual capabilities). Hate to buy the wrong camera that doesn't have the flexability to respond to the assignments.

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 15, 2010 at 5:44 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:14 PM   #4

You guys are right. I think the Canon 40D just scared me a little when I first got my hands on it. Godspeed right? Thanks for the replies and recommendations.
vansio is offline   Reply With Quote