Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:32 PM   #1
Default Sony HX5 vs Samsung HZ35/WB650

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about image quality of HX5; I'm wondering how it compares to HZ35. I would mostly be taking pictures of kids/family printing mostly 4x6/5x7. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
bbq797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2

There are no HZ35W cameras on dealer's shelves in the USA or Europe. There has really be no true professional review of the HZ35W camera. One "pseudo review" has been posted on the SeaGadget website. But that has to be suspect because SeaGadget is wholly owned, operated, and controlled by Samsung.

You can check out the image quality of the Sony HZ5 in fine detail by just visiting our Sony P+S folder where the "First Impressions of the Sony HX5" now has almost 100 posts, and numerous actual HX5 photo samples, including photos take at ISO 1600 with the HX5, including 100% crops so you can personally examine those photos in detail at you leisure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:29 PM   #3

The sony hx5 is not a bad little camera. But if you are looking solely for a camera with very good image quality and standard 3-5x zoom, with great low light. The canon S90 would be the best pure camera in the point and shoot market.

But if you want a longer zoom 10-12x zoom. The sony HX5V is not that shabby. The high ISO low light and IQ may not reach that of the S90, but if you are willing to make some trade offs. You get a 10x, decent low light high iso for a point and shot, and HD. And sweep panoramic seems interesting.

Other camera's worth looking at in the same segment as the sony would be the panasonic zs3 and zs7.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote