Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:04 AM   #1
Default panasonic Lumix fh20 or Canon A3100

I am trying to decide between the Panasonic Lumix FH20 or the Canon A3100,
both can be had for around the same price and appear to be comparable.
Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks in advance!
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Essentially the ZR1 and the FH20 are the same camera excepting for the additional resolution of 14mps on the FH-20. The ZR1 has 12mps resolution and slightly better image quality. Costco has the ZR1 on sale for $(US)170.00 if you live in the USA.

Here is a recent review of the Canon A-3100:

Unfortunately, the A-3100/A-3000 does not receive as good a review as the camera it replaced, the Canon A-1100. In fact, the review points to the better image quality of the Canon A-490/A-495.

In my opinion the 8X optical zoom (25mm to 200mm in 35mm terms) of the ZR1 has much more appeal than the 4X optical zoom offered on the A-3100. Add in that very nice 25mm wide angle position on the zoom range, and that is another plus. There is a negative though on any of Panasonic's ZR, ZS, and ZX cameras. That is poor indoor image quality caused by the very small and weak built-in flash unit. This however, can be overcome rather easily by adding an inexpensive (less than $(US) 20.00) accessory Slave Flash unit when taking flash photos with the ZR1.

In summary, I would suggest the Panasonic ZR1. It has a wide angle, more zoom, much better image quality, and it is all in a smaller more attractive package that the A-3100 does not have. I have attached a photo of my ZR1 with the Zeikos brand Slave Flash attached.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:01 PM   #3

Looks good, going to run up to Costco today or tomorrow and see what they
have in the store.

Managed to pick up the last ZR1 that Costco had in stock. It is going to be a gift to our son and future daughter in law, so I think they will be very happy with it.

Last edited by tasdisr; Apr 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote