Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:28 PM   #1
Default Sony HX5V or Canon SX210IS?

Hi! I'm a casual photographer (don't need manual controls), looking for a megazoom point and shoot to take snapshots of family, vacations, etc. After receiving some much appreciated advice on this forum regarding the choice between a Sony HX5V, Panasonic ZS7, or Nikon S8000, I had pretty much decided to get the Sony HX5V -- BUT, I started reading a number of reviews (CNET and others) questioning the image quality of the Sony HX5V (aggressive noise reduction resulting in loss of fine detail). Now, of course, I'm second-guessing my choice. Are those reviewers correct? Does the Canon SX210IS have better image quality than the HX5V, and should that be my choice instead? And, even if the Sony HX5V does have softer/lesser image quality than the Canon SX210IS, would I even notice, given that I don't pixel peep and don't print out pictures any bigger than 4 x 6"?

Thanks for any help or advice -- the reviews have gotten me so confused!
opalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2

In Steve's recent review of the Canon SX-210 he reported decreased or inferior image quality due to Panasonic's use of the new 14mp imager. So I would say that the Sony HX5 is the clear choice. It has a very good Automatic Mode and many advanced features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote