Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:28 PM   #11

I honestly do not think you will get the low light performance that you are hoping for with either camera. They are excellent megazooms, but it may be lacking in the low light department.

If you are looking for long reach and decent low light. You may want to look at a four third dslr like the e620 with the 70-300mm. It will give you the 35mm eq of a 600mm lens. It about the same size as the fuji, which I looked at today at BH. And will give you a better image quality and decent low light upto 1600, and you can push it to 3200 with some noise reduction.

But if you are looking for both long reach and low light, you may want to look at the pentax K-x with the 2 lens kit 18-55 and 55-300mm it will give you 450mm with the crop factor of 1.5. And give you excellent low light also. Plus give you dslr image quality, it is 690 at adorama right now. Not much more then the fuji hs10.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:08 PM   #12

Why not look at the Wildlife Photos forum to see what kind of gear others use to get the types of shots you'd like to get?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:33 AM   #13

I'm also going to caution you: 100 yards is a LONG way away. Even with the megazooms you may be disappointed with the quality of photos at 100 yards for even a large deer - forget about birds at 100 yards. I think 60-70 yards is a bit more realistic.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote