Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:36 AM   #1
Default I am confused on which camera would be a better choice.

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a new camera, and want something easy to use with a good zoom (preferably 10x or higher). I own Samsung ES60 fairly good for a starter, but would like to upgrade into something more. I love taking pictures. I like to take scenery pictures and need a new point and shoot camera. What can you recommend that has these criteria:

Wide angle lens
Ability to shoot HD video
Manual controls (seems like adjusting aperture is key to making those fuzzy/focus shots)
rechargeable battery (no AA)
clear macro shots (bugs, flowers)
some wildlife (would really like to be able to get shots of hummingbirds)
Panoramic Feature

I also noticed that I have taken many night time shots too but they always end up not so good so something with night time performance would be nice.

I have read many reviews and discussions and I have narrowed down my selection to these digicams.

Panasonic ZS3/TZ7, ZS7/TZ10, FZ35 and Sony HX5V.

I read many positive reviews for all the above along with their own specific disadvantages.I had intended to go with the ZS7 in the beginning, but some negative reviews that appeared in the forums regarding the image quality had made me to think again. Now I am confused on which camera would be a better choice.

I use the camera for general purpose: my family, travel, anything.Always take the camera with me.I will be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos. As I travel a lot, I need one which takes good quality images and HD video.

Some advice from the members will be very helpful.
Jeanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:23 AM   #2

The panorama feature on the ZS7 (and the ZS3 if it has one) isn't very good. It's tedious to use and hard to line up shots. The one on the HX5V is easy to use and works fairly well.

The HX5V has a manual mode but it's not a true manual mode. The ZS7 is a better choice in that regard.

The FZ35 is a completely different class of camera so not sure what it's doing in here with the others? hehe It will give you the best pics if you are happy with its size and features.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

In reviewing your requirements, I would suggest that you take a look at the Sony HX-1 camera. it has the easiest hand sweep panorama feature, as well as a Twilight Mode for you low light shot as well as meeting all your requirements. The 20X optical zoom, the G class lens, and the HD video, that allows zooming while filming are just further bonus items.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4

Panasonic ZS3 for $241.99 Free Returns/Shipping Ebay Buy It Now

7 Day Return Ebay $239.99 Free Shipping (I have purchased from these people before and they will actually let you go longer on returns if you contact them)
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote