Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you go for?
PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ35 17 85.00%
Sony DSC HX1 1 5.00%
Nikon P100 1 5.00%
canon sx20 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2010, 7:08 PM   #1

Default Want to buy a superzoom with best image quality

After going through various reviews on this forum and others, I came across some cameras but very confused which one should I go for.

I want a camera with best IQ and HD movies capability. I was interested in DSLR but its proving to be way expensive and bulky. But IQ is very important. I am new to serious photography but getting passionate about it day by day.

The cameras I looked upon are:

canon sx20

canon sx10

canon sx1

PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ35

fujifilm hs10

Sony DSC HX1

Nikon P100

Olympus SP800

Please provide your expert opinion. Many Thanks
drsaurabhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 7:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Panasonic FZ35 and the Canon SX20 are the tops of your short list, both offering great image quality and HD video. The Panasonic does so at a smaller size and is probably the best choice, unless for some reason you like using AA batteries.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3

I would sugget you to look also for the Fuji s100fs, on ebay there are still some new ones (but also refurbished can be ok). If you shoot in raw the quality is really high, and you have all the features you can find on a dsrl (except manual focus, which is of limited usability). If you want, you can take a look at the pictures I have uploaded on my website http://www.milanofotografo.it (still under construction). If you click on the thumbnails you get the middle size pictures. If you click on them you download the full resolution image.
All the pictures were shot in raw, developed with s7raw and treated with Noisware (very mild treatment).
e.engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4

If size is a consideration in your selection of a super zoom camera, the Panasonic is much smaller physically, weighing just 14 ounces than the Fuji S-1, which is a much larger camera. I have owned the S-100fs and I currently am shooting with a fine FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.engelmann View Post
I would sugget you to look also for the Fuji s100fs, on ebay there are still some new ones (but also refurbished can be ok). If you shoot in raw the quality is really high, and you have all the features you can find on a dsrl (except manual focus, which is of limited usability). If you want, you can take a look at the pictures I have uploaded on my website http://www.milanofotografo.it (still under construction). If you click on the thumbnails you get the middle size pictures. If you click on them you download the full resolution image.
All the pictures were shot in raw, developed with s7raw and treated with Noisware (very mild treatment).
is the sensor size of fuji is 2/3"? it it a good sensor.
Old May 5, 2010, 3:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
If size is a consideration in your selection of a super zoom camera, the Panasonic is much smaller physically, weighing just 14 ounces than the Fuji S-1, which is a much larger camera. I have owned the S-100fs and I currently am shooting with a fine FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Hi SJ,

Which camera have better sensor and image quality out of these 2?
Old May 5, 2010, 8:24 PM   #7

drsaurabhg-

The Fuji S-100fs has the larger imager. It is an excellent, but rather demanding camera that needs some photo experience to get the best from it. In contrast, the FZ-35 has a 1/2.33" imager and it is much more user friendly.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:37 AM   #8

Default s100fs: image quality depending from ISO

I have just added on my web site http://www.milanofotografo.it the possibility of seeing the pictures divided per ISO.
So it is possible to get an idea of the image quality in real conditions!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:06 AM   #9

I have just finished the translation of the web site in English. In it I also describe the settings I use.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:08 AM   #10

The Fujifilm S100fs is an appealing camera in many ways... but its image quality had some issues, according to this in-depth test when the camera first came out:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

What's more, both camera and sensor technology have improved since the F100fs came out more than 2 years ago. And some of the newer, entry-level DSLRs aren't much bigger... cameras like the Pentax K-x.

As Dustin said, most people in the know put the Panasonic FZ35 and the Canon SX20 at the top of the superzoom heap in terms of image quality. It's simply a matter of determining which camera's features you prefer and whether the Panasonic's smaller sizer and lighter weight make a difference to you. Personally, I'd go for the FZ35 if I was in the market for a superzoom.

But since you say you are becoming more passionate about photography by the day, you may find yourself outgrowing a superzoom before long. If you opt for an entry-level DSLR, you can take your time adding lenses. I suspect you can get by with three lenses over the long haul: the kit lens (which usually is in the 18-55mm range), a telephoto lens (usually in the 55-200 or 300mm range) and a fast prime (non-zoom) lens in the 35mm range.

A Pentax K-x (which does video) with the two zooms I described above can be hand for under $700:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._SLR_with.html

Pentax's DA 35mm f/2.4 prime runs about $219.

A Nikon D3000 (which doesn't do video) with two zooms can also be had for under $700 (at least until the instant rebate/discount expires later this month):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 prime runs about $192.

Of course, you can buy just a camera body and single kit lens and add telephotos and possibly a fast prime later. That would probably save you about $200 on the up-front purchase price. I only suggest the DSLR option because you say photography is really growing in importance to you. But there's no getting past it: advanced photography ain't cheap.

But if you stick with a superzoom now because of price, then buy one that will still be useful to you (such as in certain vacation or travel situations) even if you buy a DSLR later. The Panasonic FZ35 would still get my vote.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote