Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2010, 1:27 PM   #1
Default Which camera for family and vacation use?

We do alot of traveling and I have been consistently dissatisfied with my point and shoots image quality (Canon A710). The camera bleeds the battery dry, the delay between button and taking the picture sometimes is rediculously long, and the flash recharge is terrible. Night images are atrocious. Anything that moves sucks. Shooting everything from light to dark, landscapes, action, kids birthday parties....... I know very little about DSLRs but am willing to learn!

We are going to Alaska and then the Grand Canyon this summer. I am looking at DSLR with zoom lenses, trying to keep it below $700. I like the idea of one lens that can go 18 to 200 to keep me from changing lenses during wet/dusty weather. None-the-less I have looked at a number of cameras such as:

Sony A330 - The swivel LCD is awesome but everyone tells me it is of very little use and in the outdoors, you can't see the LCD anyways. The wife needs an LCD though.

Canon Rebel XS - To use the LCD, you have to take it out of dummy mode which would be a huge problem for the wife.

Pentax K-X - This is the one I am most leening towards as the kit price with the second lens (55-300) is pretty good at Amazon. The LCD works well for the wife. Its got a poor mans video. Most reviews say the pics are as good anything in this price range.

Nikons - Know for great images but I haven't found one in my price range that the reviews are comprable to Pentax K-X. Maybe this will be my second camera when I choose to spend $2000.

Any comments? How about thumbs up on my choice? Anything?
craboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 1:46 PM   #2

The Canon XS or Xsi with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens and the Canon 55-250mmIS lens would be a good combination. Or you could get the Pentax Kx two lens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm and Pentax 55-300mm lens. Or you could use the Sony A-230 or A-330 body with the Tamron 18-250mm lens. I use the Tamron 18-250mm lens on my Sony A-230, and I have been very happy with that combination. All these combinations are either within or slightly above your budget.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3

The pentax K-x with the 2 lens kit 18-55 and 55-300 is selling at 680 dollars at BH. It also was award TIPA best entry dslr.

Out of all the camera listed, the K-x is the best for shooting in low light and only slightly behind the canon in Auto Focus ability.

I was shooting the k-x for the past couple of days next to my canon T1i, and the k-x stack up well against a very very good canon product.

Here are some links of photos I posted with the k-x against the canon T1i, and some shots of the k-x in some action.

High ISO comparison, Pentax k-x and Canon T1i

Birds in NYC
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote