Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Default HELP-I don't know what camera to buy?

I'm looking for a camera that's easy to use, takes good pictures when I'm far away at a concert, and action photos when my little boy is playing peewee football and I don't have to wait forever to take the next picture. Any suggestions?
annamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Welcome to Steve's!

Two things that might be useful for us to know as we try to answer your question are:
  • What's your budget?
  • What's your level of experience? That is, how much luck have you had with other cameras when trying to do those things? What you want to do can be difficult, but we don't want to throw you into the deep end of the pool, so to speak.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; May 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3

My budget is $0.00-$500.00, I'm not an expert, my last cameria was an Oplympus something, took horrible pictures and the zoom stunk.
annamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4

The performance features you are seeking are really unique to DSLR cameras, which can handle fast focus for sports photo, interchangeable lenses, fast shot to shot times, and the ability to take good photos in low light level environments, like concerts without flash.

Canon has some of the fastest focus times with their DSLR cameras, that is why they (Canon DSLR Cameras) are preferred for sports photos. So take a look at the Canon XS or Canon XSi DSLR cameras A lens would work with either of these cameras would be the Canon 55-250mm telephoto lens.

Based on your budget, you could easily the XS camera body with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, and then at a later time add the Canon 55-250mm lens. However if camera size is a priority, you may find a DSLR to large for your taste.

Stop by a big box store or a camera store and handle these cameras to give yourself an accurate view of camera size, physical handling, and hand spread across the camera controls.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:44 PM   #5

The pentax K-x is the second best in AF currently in the entry level. Just a bit behind canon. And you get a better low light camera. The K-x with the 18-55 lens for around 460. And if you can swing it the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm is selling for 680 dollars at BH or the 55-200mm lens for 598 dollars. I have used the K-x to shoot birds in flight and swing dancing. And it really does a respectable job, just a bit behind my canon T1i.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote