Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1
Default Stepping down from Nikon D200

I have a D200, SB800 Flash, 35-75mm lens, 75-300mm lens, all the filters, users guides, etc. I wanted to be that guy, the guy who can get the right shot with the right settings, but I just don't have the time to learn and practice. I have to be real... I take 3000-4000 pics a year... for the last 10 years, I have been using Canon A-series and will continue to have one in my bag. I want a camera that is easy to use, will do RAW, great quality. Will consider a DSLR, a mid size superzoom, or a smaller camera, am seriously considering a Canon G11. Just want to know what every one thinks. Also, I have used the Nikon D5000 and thought its multiple auto modes were really nice. Thanks for your recommendations.
dcsalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 1:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

There is good news - in a couple of parts.

Part 1: The new range of EVIL cameras, the Panasonic M4/3, Olympus M4/3, Samsung NX, and a bunch coming from Sony and in due course Nikon and Canon. Near-DSLR quality in a smaller package. In fact you may have seen the advertising campaign for the Olympus cameras aimed exactly at people who "don't want to be that guy".

Part 2: The emerging market segment of somewhat larger sensors in compact cameras, usually married to a fast lens - Canon S90, G11, Panasonic LX3, Samsung TL500.

You don't get the full flexibility of the DSLR and rolling luggage full of accessories, but it doesn't stop you from getting great pictures within the limits of the camera and it certainly does simplify things.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

'Not to worry at all! You are part of a continuing and growing trend of DSLR camera users who opt to make their kit a good deal lighter in weight. The G-11 is a camera that is often selected exact for the role of DSLR sidekick. The G-11 is a real performer and is capable of excellent image quality. The EVIL cameras, while very attractive, remain overpriced. Until there are more competing models, the price will remain high.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote