Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2010, 5:06 PM   #1
Default Kids - outside shooting and indoor - DSLR

Hi All,

A friend of mine found a deal for an A330 Sony with the 2 kit lenses 18-55, 55-200. I'm not too familiar with Sony DSLR's and wondered if 'users' can provide a review for someone coming from a point and shoot.

Photos would be of kids playing outside in the yard doing various things...kids inside (where a flash would be used), etc. Pretty average photos for parents.

I remember reading one Sony DSLR had many issues but that a newer version had corrected problems but I can't remember which model it was and was wondering if I can get some feedback for them?

I know with DSLR's its always about the lens quality, etc but just as an overview how easy is this camera for a new user?
Olympus E-PL5 45mm 1.8, 60mm macro and Panny 25mm 1.4

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 5:14 PM   #2

The A3xx series has a very small viewfinder. She may really want to compare it to a pentax k-x or canon xsi before getting it. To me the small vf was a issue.

For kids playing outside, the xsi and k-x has the better AF system then the sony. K-x is selling with a 18-55 and 55-300mm lens at adorama for 690, and it does hd at 720. And the zoom lens focuses pretty fast on the K-x. For indoors she may need a faster prime lens, or bump the iso up depending on the lighting.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:16 PM   #3

The Sony A330 is a nice camera, and those lenses are nice too. But as shoturtle has pointed out, there are better tools for the job your friend has in mind. But if the deal is really good, the A330 isn't incapable of doing what your friend wants.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote