Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Default FZ35, HS10 or S2550/S1800?

Hi, I'm trying to determine if I should go with the Fuji HS10 or FZ35, or even the S2550/S1800. I've done a lot of research and I've had a Fuji S602 which I liked. I'm still learning manual modes to eventually go to a DSLR so I do want something to learn on while still being able to use out of the box. I will use for landscape, people, animals, action shots, and concerts. I will also use for my candy business. I do need good image quality to show finer details in artisan chocolates to put on my website. If there's a camera I haven't listed you'd think would be good I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thank you for your help!
Novamari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The FZ35 and the HS10 are both a large step above the S2550/1800. So if you are going with a superzoom bridge camera, focus your thoughts on these 2 models. The HS10 has a longer zoom range, a quite gigantic 30x zoom, good image quality, and good build. It is highly regarded by many here, but does have its quirks. the video isn't very good for one. The FZ35 is a tried and true and has been highly regarded throughout its time on the market, great lens, good video, smaller zoom though. Tough choice and i don't think you can go wrong either way.

one thing to bear in mind, both cameras may be a bit large for concert use, it depends on the security on-duy, but they may feel either of these cameras, particularly the dslr styled HS10 is too professional and may not let you in.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Thank you Hards80! I think I could get the Panasonic FZ35 into the concert, but I've read indoor image quality isn't that great. Any thoughts on that?

I had read about image quality issues with the Fuji S1800/2550 so didn't know about those, although price would be great for that.

Fuji HS10 seems like a great camera, but I keep thinking if I'm going to spend that much on a bridge camera I should probably just go to a DSLR although there are benefits to it such as not carrying a lot of equipment
Novamari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 3:05 AM   #4

I am also eagerly waiting for the outcome of this comparo.... This was exactly what I had also shortlisted .... the panny and fuji are top of my list respectively
ljlijash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 9:29 PM   #5

If you have the budget for a FZ35 or HS10, don't consider the S1800/S2550.

As an owner of the S1800, I will tell you that it'll give you good image quality, and is a fantastic value as a $250 camera, but the image quality of the FZ35 is just another league.
chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote