Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2010, 7:44 AM   #1
Default Totally Confused Please Help!

My casio exilim died and I am trying to buy a new point and shoot. I have a canon rebel xsi that I absolutely love but with 3 kids there are times I just don't want to lug it around. I would like to get a point and shoot that I can take with us on vacation, to baseball games, etc. I am really torn on whether or not to buy a camera with a lot of optical zoom like the Sony Cyber-shot H55 or go with one with a 4xs like the sony cyber-shot 350. The man at Wolf Camera said Sony makes the best compact camera. The man at Best Buy said he liked Canon Powershot SD1400. The bottom line is I am totally confused. My main goal is to be able to get great pictures of my kids and family memories. I don't want to miss out on super pictures because I can't always carry my big camera. I need it to take the pictures quickly because my kids are still really young and when they actually are still and hopefully smiling I want to push the button and have it take with no or very little delay! I don't want to "overbuy" a camera and spend a bunch on something I don't need or won't use. Please help me.
brookew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 8:00 AM   #2

Lemmee try to give some thoughts on the zoom issue. If your pictures are mainly at the beach or cottage (i.e.: lake based), a big zoom is essential. Around the house or back-yard/parks, not really applicable. Also, a big zoom means a bigger camera body. I favour very small with reasonable quality. I don't know, but if you're a lady, you may carry the camera in your purse. Then it could be bigger with no problems.

You'll get a couple of recommendations (you didn't give any price range) from others who know lots more than me. Also, try to read the other postings in this forum. Make notes.

If Costco sells what you eventually choose, I'd buy it there. Their return policy can be a life-saver.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:09 AM   #3

Price range under $200 would be great but if I needed to spend a little more to get "the perfect camera" (if that exists!) I could bump the price range up a little.
brookew is offline   Reply With Quote