Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Default Panasonic lumix dmc-ft2/dmc-ts2

I'm thinking on buying the new Panasonic FT2 (http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/c...ft2/index.html).

But before, I really want to ear your opinion about it. Is it the best choice on this type of cameras?

Best Regards,
sopra_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 1:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

my fellow moderator Mark1616, was just shopping around for an underwater camera, and he ended up choosing the Panasonic FT2. He did a lot of research, and knows his stuff, so I think its a great choice for an underwater/tough cam.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:13 PM   #3

I've been working with cameras and related for years and years. In the past I'd always dealt with underwater casings, etc. but don't need that anymore with the TS2. I do some pretty intense research before purchasing even a consumer camera like this and the TS2 won hands down vs anything within the same playing field. For me, even though it was rugged, it had to take great pictures. And with HD video on most cameras, it had to take great HD video (and had to be able to zoom, etc. and focus while shooting HD). It did both of these things very well. And, it'll take a beating and keep on going! I'm extremely happy with this camera. I highly recommend it.
theboyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:45 PM   #4

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I'm leaving for Europe in a few weeks, and I'm long past due for a new camera (current camera: Canon Powershot SD850IS). I'll be on the beach and snorkeling for a few of those days, so I really wanted to get myself a waterproof camera (for the flexibility).

How does the TS2 fare in normal, every day situations? Other than this trip, there's a good chance I'll be using my camera mostly for typical purposes (point-and-shoot on the streets or in buildings, going out with friends and night, etc.). Would it be a dumb idea to spend an extra $100-150 for the waterproof feature when I probably won't be taking advantage of the feature very often?

My thought process is I need a new camera anyways, so why not get one that will take good everyday shots while giving me the flexibility to go underwater, in the rain, etc.

Last edited by atx; May 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM.
atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 4:26 PM   #5

I had for a few years a Canon PowerShot A620. I really like that camera...great options, great pictures, etc.
unfortunately, on a vacations in NYC, the focus was not working so I decided to buy a new one. I didn't want to miss the opportunities of taking amazing photos while I was there.
So I bought a Nikon Coolpix S570. Honestly, I don't like this camera. The flash is to strong and at night, the pictures are awful...

I really hope that the Panasonic is much better that my Nikon! If it equals the Canon, I will be very happy.
sopra_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:31 AM   #6

I have recently purchased the lumix FT2 and so far it is not a bad little unit. I havn't tried any water photography yet but hope to try it over the next few days. Compared to my old olympus 795sw though, it does not have the same feel of... solidness, I wouldnt feel comfortable dropping the FT2 ever. Big pluses are the HD movie which works very well.
Not too many reviews out there yet but the ones I have read give the camera a thumbs up. I would have liked to have gone with olympus again but there were to many horror stories of the camera's leaking, and images not looking that wonderful, shame as I do like the olympus solid feel.
The FT2 seems to have a rattle when the camera is powered down, my research has led me to believe this is normal and it does disappear when the camera is powered up, something to do with the internal lens. Hope this is true!
I'll post some shots soon.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote