Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:57 PM   #1
Default buying used?

Hi there I'm very new to this forum, and also very new to dslr photography. I want something with better quality than my point and shoot; I don't need anything spectacular, but something I can take some portraits of friends with, as well as lots of nature pictures. I've been looking mainly at canon and nikon because I've read they have the widest ranges of lenses and I figure if I start with one it will be easier to upgrade later if I so choose.

I'm also on a limited budget as a student, around $500 preferably so I've been looking at some used cameras on craigslist. I've found a used canon xs, about a year old for $500 with an 18-55IS as well as a 55-250IS. This seems like a pretty good deal to me, but would anyone on here be able to give me a little advice? I emailed the person to ask if they had the approximate shutter count but I don't think they know what that is since they just sent me back a list of the camera specifications. Is a year pretty old for a dslr? And what sort of things should I look at in the camera to make sure it isn't in bad condition?

Help would be loved since I'm not really sure what to look for in a dslr. Thanks!!

Last edited by summersky; Jun 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
summersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:09 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Your Canon XS with Canon 18-55mmIS and 55-250mmIS for $500 is a very good price, providing you know the seller and the camera and lenses are in good condition.

If you have not already done so stop by a local camera shop and physically handle the XS to be sure it feels good in hand. How your hands span the controls is important.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote