Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Default Advice to get started

I'm have approximately 1,000 to 1,200 to spend and am having a hard time deciding on getting a t1i with the 430ex speedlite and 50 mm 1.4 lens, or getting a 50D with the kit lens. I am planning on trying to start a small photobusiness at the start of next year. By small I mean doing some acquaintances kids/family and possibly some senior pictures mainly. This endeavor is not going to be replacing my day job (even if things are going great I love my day job to much to leave it) - this is to pick up a little bit of extra income, spend time doing something I love, and to help out the people of my community a little bit. What I mean by that is I live in a small, rural, poorish town in the midwest and there is only one pro photographer in the area and I'm finding that more and more people are not using anybody because his prices have become to inflated (I don't have an issue with that, he can charge what he wants - but I am thinking about trying to go after this other market with a more reasonable pricing structure that will fit the area). Thoughts, comments? Thanks
StevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2

For close quarters, a 50mm prime will be hard to work with. With Primes, you need to zoom with your feet, and sometimes, for what you want to do, there just isn't room.

For what you want to do, I'd stick with the T1i, get a Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM or a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5, and a flash.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote