Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:27 PM   #1
Default Which Camera?

I need a camera with great zoom, an easy to use interface, but also some advanced options as I learn more about photography.

I am definitely an amateur, but I want to buy a camera that will let me advance as I learn. I have a Kodak Easyshare C613 that I carry all the time and I had a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I loved until it was damaged. That is the camera that I want to replace.

I am looking at both the Nikon Coolpix 8700 and the Nikon Coolpix P90. I am open to all suggestions!

smswims is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:30 PM   #2

I just bought the Panasonic ZS7. I did a lot of research and this one was the best fit for me. I liked the zoom and wide along with the manual controls I can use once I get more experienced.
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:32 PM   #3

A Nikon Coolpix 8700 is very hard to find. I owned one and it was made during a time that Nikon made great P+S cameras. That is now longer true at all. I bought a Nikon P-90 and returned it. The image quality was inferior and there was noise at all ISO settings, even the base or lowest ISO setting

To give you some background the same Chinese factory produced the Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z890, and the Pentax X70 and the Chines did it all by producing those cameras at the cheapest cos. Now they are producing the follow-on/replacement models to those cameras, and they are still very poor quality cameras.

The leaders in the super zoom camera field are Fuji with their model HS-10 and Panasonic with their models FZ-35 and FZ-38. Warren's post was very well intended, but the compact, pocket size zoom cameras cannot compete in terms of image quality and zoom length with the FZ-35/38 and HS-10 camera that have 18X optical zoom and 30X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:46 PM   #4

Mtclimber: That is very true. I have a Canon DSLR to get the better image quality and now a P&S for portability and convenience.
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:02 AM   #5

FZ-38 is a great powerzoom camera. I looked into them and tried one too. Awesome for a superzoom.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:25 PM   #6

Nikon certainly produces great DSLRs but when it comes to P&S, they have been falling behind many other less popular brands. As Sarah mentioned, they used to produce great P&S cameras and the 8700 was one of their most popular (and expensive at the time) models. However, it's outdated in many areas and even if you find one, you most likely won't be happy with its sloooow performance, ISO capability, tiny LCD etc, etc, etc. Yes, IQ may be good but I don't believe it will be better than today's best models. If zoom is not a must, the Sony V3 with its 7 MP and many great features is still a very attractive option. The camera outperforms just about every P&S available today in terms of IQ. But, it has its limitations from being old. No IS and a small LCD are the two major ones. However, since the lens is 4x only, IS is really not missed.

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote