Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Default Going to Kauai and need a camera

I'm going to Kauai at the end of the week and need a camera. I'll be doing a lot of hiking, kayaking and snorkeling, will be camping without power for 3 days. I have a budget of about $500 Canadian for a new camera, previous model was a Sony P and S 5 megapixel entry model. I know very little about cameras, wish I could have spent more time doing research but this trip came up quick. I was kind of leaning towards the Lumix waterproof camera, believe it was 14 megapixels, does hd video and had good reported battery life. I'm having problems deciding whether to go with something that's rugged or a regular camera and just buy a disposable waterproof camera. You never can tell what the weather will be like and I'll be kayaking the Na apali coastline and I really want to get good pictures of it. Does anyone have suggestions as to a good digital and or waterproof digitial camera? Any help would be most appreciated.
voltaire64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:58 AM   #2

There are some postings here discussing these needs. Search for "rain forest" and take a read. Batteries will be important. I would lean to AAs and bring 3 sets of eneloops with me along with a charger of course.

Personally, I would go to the local camera stores and make a list of the waterproof cameras they have IN-STOCK. Travelling this week you can't afford to be so choosy. Asking here for some suggestions within that small group is more likely to be useful to you.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:46 AM   #3

Panasonic TS2...take an extra battery...have fun...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4

Ditto on the Panny TS2 and the extra battery.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote