Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:24 PM   #1
Default Beginner Canon Advice

Hi everyone.
Just joined the forum after reading for days on various forums and websites and am looking for some beginner advice. Apologies if this is not the correct place to post and mod please feel free to move.

I have been bitten by the DSLR bug after recently purchasing the Rebel XS. My only other experience is with a SD750 point and shoot. My main objectives are to document street art and street life in general, but love shooting pics of everything, especially with a nice creamy bokeh. I would also like to take my camera with me on vacation and get some night shots when out on the town. I also do not see myself ever using a tri-pod.

I must say that I am definitely overwhelmed by everything I have been reading here and on various forums and that my Photography education is zero. I was considering purchasing David Busch's photography book, unless any of you could recommend a better source.

My dilemma is that I have a week left to return my Rebel XS, before it is mine forever and am not sure if I should upgrade now before taking a loss on a future purchase. I do tend to jump into things, but have been enamored with photography forever and have a dedicated (addictive?) personality. I don't plan on making this a profession, but would like to see where I can take things. My budget is severely limited as I am getting married soon, but I think I could stretch it a little over a $1200 with no real expectation to add much in the future. Maybe the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens just so I have some zoom or a nice wide angle lens down the road. I know this may be a little jumping the gun, but I would rather have better gear now, than taking a loss and upgrading later.

The following are my options, please let me know your thoughts.

Option 1: (approx. $800-$1080 depending on Prime Lens)
Rebel XS (currently own)
Purchase a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 or Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Purchase a Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash

Option 2: (approx. $830-$1110 depending on Prime Lens)
Purchase the Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Purchase a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens (bundled with above)
Purchase a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 or the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
- possibly sell the 55-250 lens to help pay for one of the prime lenses. Not sure how much I could get or how easy it is to sell .

Option 3: Most expensive option (approx. $1250-$1530 depending on Prime Lens)
Purchase the Canon Eos Rebel T2i (not expecting to use video)
Purchase a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 or the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

I've also been trying to decide between the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 or 1.8 or the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8. I understand that the distance is a personal choice, but is IQ better on one than the other, and would I be happy with just the 1.4.

Thanks in advance for any input.

greekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:32 PM   #2

Get the T1i is has allot better AF system then the XS, and if HD is really important the T2i is the better tool for Video. But if it is not important save the money form the t2i and get the 50 1.4 as it is a better lens then the 50 1.8. I have both, and I really like the 1.4 it is in different lead, The 85 1.8 is a great lens also. Photo quality wish the T1 and T2 are about the same, and equal in iso ability.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:39 PM   #3

Originally Posted by greekboy View Post
"document street art and street life" ... "especially with a nice creamy bokeh" ... night shots when out on the town" ... "I also do not see myself ever using a tri-pod."
You need large apertures, stabilization, low distortion at wide angles, and good low-light performance, all for ~$1,200.

You need a Tamron 17-50/2.8 on a stabilized body, either a Pentax K-x or a Sony A500 or A550. (I'd go with the Pentax.)

To do what you want with a Canon body, you'd need the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM (~$1,080), and the lens alone will max out your budget.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote