Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:11 AM   #1

Default Lens for Olympus E420

I am thinking of getting an Olympus E420. I know that probably made some of you wince () as its a old camera but I have found them new with the 14-42mm lens for 209 delivered which is in my price range. I have never had a DSLR so don't know how to operate on so this seems a cheaper learning camera.

But being new to all this I am not sure what mount the E420 uses so dont know what lenses I should be looking at for the future.

Can anyone guide me in this area? What Olympus series ones can I use or are there good compatibles out there?

Sorry if this is a totally noob question!
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:16 AM   #2

The 420 is a decent entry-level camera. My first DSLR was the 410. You'll get some nice images with it.

Generally, if the lens advert says it's "OM mount", it is for a film SLR. You can use it with a OM-4/3s adapter but you will have to focus manually. Here is a list of all compatible DSLR lenses http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/lenses.html if you're interested using OM-mount lenses, this list is for you http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jul 30, 2010 at 7:27 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the links. I will bookmark them. Just need to twist Hubby's arm in to giving me the cash! LOL
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Thanks for the links. I will bookmark them. Just need to twist Hubby's arm in to giving me the cash! LOL
Just a note - The prices you see on those lists are not too accurate. I think they are retail on a new lens. You can find good used/refurbs quite easily at B&H, Adorama, or KEH and save a pretty nice chunk.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:34 AM   #5

I have been and had a quick look on eBay, as we only have a Jessops and I defo cannot afford there prices!

I am better equipped to know what I am looking for, thanks x
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:45 AM   #6

When you buy a dSLR, you're making a commitment ot a system. As you start getting lenses and accessories for it, your investment is much more than just the 209 you paid for just the camera. When you decide to buy a dSLR, you should make sure that the system you're committing to can do what you want, now and in the future. As systems go, the Olympus system is the most limited and the least capable. It may very well be perfect for what you want to do, but you may bump into one of its limitations after you've already spent a lot on it.

You shouldn't base your purchasing decision exclusively on price. You should make sure the E-420 can do what you want.

What do you want to photograph?
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:50 AM   #7

Well everything really, from family photos, macro and landscapes. The problem I have is that I am not paying for the camera and I have no clue how to operate one so I cant really justify the higher priced models.

I do understand where you are coming from tho. But I am thinking that this will be a learner camera and I wont go mad on accessories for it then in a few years when I know what I am doing with it I can justify the more expensive whistles and bells dSLR. I dont think I will hit the limitations any time soon! LOL
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:33 PM   #8

For the Olympus E420, macro will be tough. Macro lenses for Olympus are scarce and expensive, and there aren't any extension tubes for it except the one Olympus makes, and indications are that it's dedicated to certain lenses. You could try close-up lenses, but those don't work very well.

But the E420 should be able to do everything elses well enough.

If it's your objective to get a dSLR for as little as possible, this could be it. But if it's your objective to get the best possible camera for a small amount of money, there are better choices.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For the Olympus E420, macro will be tough. Macro lenses for Olympus are scarce and expensive, and there aren't any extension tubes for it except the one Olympus makes, and indications are that it's dedicated to certain lenses. You could try close-up lenses, but those don't work very well.

Sorry, but I cannot agree. Oly does macro well, and at all price points, just like all formats. In fact, because of the shorter registration distance, they can use just about anyone's macro lenses via a cheap adapter. In that way, Oly has the widest selection of macro lenses at all price points. Heck, a reversing ring and a common OM 50 1.8 at 15 bucks will get you into the macro game.

I've got the Oly 35 (less than $200) and the 50 f2 (a great lens and I paid $350) and here are some of the results.

50 f2 and EC-14 converter

35 macro w/1.4 converter

A midge w/35 macro with 2x teleconverter and Canon 250D close-up lens

Same kit as above.

All the above images are left uncropped.

First, a word of caution. The 35 macro works CLOSE and at maximum magnifications, standard flashes may shadow at the bottom edge.

I've seen some nice work with the Oly 70-300 also at half life size. In fact, the Zuiko lenses tend to have a shorter minimum focus distance than the industry in general.

Just thought someone that knows a little about the Oly system and a little about macro in general should chime in.

www.spanielsport.com
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:15 AM   #10

Anyone that want's to do macro can concoct something, including adapting other lenses for the purpose. What matters is how much you're willing to give up in order to get there. fldspringer appears to be willing to give up autofocus and autoexposure to get macro, and that's fine, but you may not. And the Oly 70-300 he mentioned is a Sigma 70-300 APO 1:2 macro lens that does well on the Olympus' smaller image sensor, but is terribly overpriced. The same lens that sells for ~$200 for any other mount, sells for ~$350 with an Olympus nameplate on it. And while the list of AE/AF Macro lenses for the Olympus mount is short, it does benefit from the 4/3 system's narrower angle of view. There's the Olympus 35/3.5 and 50/2.0 (the 50 requires that 25mm extension tube to get to 1:1 macro), and Sigma's 105/2.8 and 150/2.8.