Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Default Camera For Concerts?

I go to a lot of concerts and find myself taking numerous pictures and videos, but i was looking for a new camera, hopefully an improvement on my current one.

At the moment i have a Canon Digital IXUS 75 (7.1 Mega Pixels, with a 3x Zoom Lens) Overall for a digital camera i have found it very good, especially the video sound quality (which considering the concerts i go to usually have very heavy bass and drums, or very loud guitars is quite amazing) although not crystal clear, is still clear enough and easily decipherable.

Yet when it comes to taking the actual picture, it takes a while to take it, usually resulting in missing the wanted frame, or if it is taken the pictures quite often come out blurry. The only way it doesn't blur is with the flash on, but then it's usually too dark or focused on heads or hands in front of me.

I know that its never going to be as good as an DSLR or other big commercial cameras, but i need something compact that i can sneak into anti-camera venues.

So what i was looking for is a new camera, preferably under 400/500, with good video quality, both in sound and picture (atleast to the standard of the Canon i have at the moment) but with a quicker shutter rate, so i can actually get the desired shot, with a good zoom, preferably above 3x, that takes good quality pictures in low light. A bonus would include one of the settings that has an automatic Face Detection setting.

Any ideas, i know it's a lot to ask, but i have my fingers crossed!

AliceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:30 AM   #2

To accomplish what you seek will not happen on your budget. Success will be achieved when you obtain a combination of a fast lens(f1.4 to f2.8) affixed to a camera capable of producing excellent, low noise images at ISO's of 1600 and above. Cameras and zoom lenses of this nature will be quite costly and there really is no way of cheaping out. The least expensive camera I know of that would be a candidate for your needs would be the Olympus E-PL1. Check the reviews.
Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens, Sony A200 and Sony H70
50mm f3.5 Minolta Maxxum macro
24mm f2.8 Minolta Maxxum
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:04 PM   #3

I have had ALOT of luck with the Panasonic FZ and TZ line for concert photos! I go to alot of concerts - at least 20 last year and am up to 10 so far this year. Currently I use my FZ35 and get amazing results using the 'S' mode. Just the other night I used my TZ5 and was very happy with the results. Just a note, I am a 'seat snob', an am typically in the first 10 rows or I don't go. Here are a few examples from the other night with the TZ5 (although I am considering the TZ10 since it has manual controls)

Last edited by MDJoviFan; Aug 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
MDJoviFan is offline   Reply With Quote