Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:15 AM   #1
Default Samsung TL350 or Canon S90

Hello All,

I just posted about a week ago, wondering which are the best point and shoots in the market (for the price range I wanted). I was given some great advice. A lot better than a couple other forums I posted at!

So now I have it narrowed down to two cameras: the Samsung TL350 and Canon S90. I've heard mostly great reviews on both of these.

The only downfall to the Samsung TL350 that I read is that it shoots noisy low-light photos and has a difficult time shooting in very high lit situations... however I've heard that it has a lot of great features (including the panaramic mode) and is friendly in regards to the fact that it performs well with both automatic and manual modes. Being an amateur, this is somewhat of a turn on for me.

The downfalls I've read about the S90 is that it has poor ergonomics and terrible battery life. It also seems that you pretty much have to be an expert with understanding the controls of photography for it to perform well (doesn't have as many simple operations for auto). In addition, I heard that the S90 is overpriced for what it offers, however I'm very interested on the reviews of picture performance for this model (especially how well it performs in low-light conditions!).

Does anyone else have any feedback? Yes, I understand that to achieve the best picture I need to understand the controls of photography, which I am interested in but am not quite at that point yet. All in all, which would be the best "beginner camera" at this rate? Which camera produces the best picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ckalina; Aug 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM.
ckalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

As they say pictures are worth a thousand words:
Canon S90 sample photos no flash in Museum
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3

If you need low light ability get the s90, if you need a bit more reach and hd the tl350 is not bad. The lens on it is quite good actually. It is not good in low light like the s90.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4

The comparison should be between the Canon S-90 and the Samsung TL-500/EX-1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:27 PM   #5

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The comparison should be between the Canon S-90 and the Samsung TL-500/EX-1.

Sarah Joyce
Hi ckalina,

As Sarah pointed out, the S90 should be compared to the Samsung TL500/EX1 since they are in the larger sensor class. But the high ISO sample shots I've seen from the TL350 are pretty amazing for a small sensor, pocketable P&S camera.

Here's a link to some TL350 shots. Check the ISO 800 shot of the girl resting her face on her hand. I think that ISO 800 shot looks equal or better than ISO 400 shots from many other small sensor cameras.

Also check the detail in the hair of the back shot of the little girl on page-2. It's a ISO 100 shot but the detail is darn good. Click on the image twice to enlarge it to full screen, then wait a few seconds for the highest resolution to appear.

I saw some other high ISO shots on a Chinese website but can't find the link now. If I find it, I'll post the link. It's a struggle to find user sample images from the TL350/WB2000 now since it was just released about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by skylark; Aug 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:02 PM   #6

I think you have to make a fundamental decision about whether you want to be "hard core" about photography meaning you will commit to learning manual mode and would reap the benefits of something like the S90. Or, do you want to give an inch on photo quality and enjoy the bells and whistles of something like the TL350?

I was actually making a similar decision last week and went with the TL350 because I decided I valued the feature set enough to give up somethng in the quality department. It is difficult to find sample photos of the TL350 on the web (and admittedly, I have not helped the situation much) but I did post a little bit in the Samsung forum. I do find the camera to be quite capable in many situations, but I'm not sure how consistent it is. After all, I am still an amateur learning manual modes myself. Anyway, good luck on your decision!
Raven313 is offline   Reply With Quote