Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:15 AM   #1
Default Suggestions for shooting HDRI

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on which camera to buy to shoot HDRI's. I would prefer to get a Canon SLR as a lot of my friends also have Canon's, so I can borrow all their sexy lens'

I need a camera that can do automatic bracketed f-stops of -4, to +4 (5 shots - as far as I know, open to correction on this though)

At the moment I could afford to get the 550d, would this do or would I have to call the bank manager to see if he can help me out

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Animaphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:21 AM   #2

I'm not sure about this... But, I think the 550D is limited to 3 shots in a bracketing sequence with a maximum of 2 stops between shots, which means you'd only be able to get -2 to +2. For example, this sequence (with a 4 stop total spread between the lightest and darkest image).

-2, 0, +2

But, you could always take more than one sequence after adjusting your exposure if your subject is stationary and you're using a tripod.

Hopefully, some of our members will chime in with more knowledge, as that's what I found with a quick glance at this database (which is using reader supplied data, and may not be totally accurate).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:42 AM   #3

Thanks a lot Jim, I'll check that resource out...

wow, I'm deffo gonna have to call the bank manager if I want to go automatic bracketing, seems as though the only one I can go for is the 1D

I'd say I will be mostly shooting still life for tone mapping and to a lesser extent shooting HDRI for using as lighting and reflection maps in 3d renders for compositing, so doing more than 1 shot should not cause me too much difficulity.

Thanks again for the advice
Animaphic is offline   Reply With Quote