Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:07 AM   #11
Default fz50

I dont think the fz35 has manual zoom. I have the fz50 and I believe that you will only be marginally happier with it over your fuji. The FZ panny's have horrible low light ability - in part due to their giant megazoom glasses but mostly due to their tiny 1/2.33" sized sensor. Its a big camera and for the life of me it struck me odd that they would have such great features on this camera (nearly everything is perfect) but stick it with such a lousy sensor. Shot to shot time is awesome - just like an slr - focus speed also great and nearly instant. But indoors at night or even outdoors at dusk are a constant problem for me. I must use flash all the time in such situations which makes it hard to shoot rapidly as each shot needs to recharge the flash unit for about 3 to 10 seconds! Its painful. And the camera does not let you shoot until flash is charged. My wife has a casio EX-Z850 pocket camera and it is significantly easier to use in low light situations since flash charge times are much much faster. It even has a rapid speed light flash!! I too am hunting for that all perfect camera with manual rings but not an slr - already have a rebel.
bluscarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:30 PM   #12

I've had the Fz35 (which is a very nice camera, too) but I am much happier with the 200EXR. It's a highly-capable camera under a large variety of shooting conditions. But, it's complex like others have mentioned and many parameters are controllable like noise reduction, color modes, dynamic range, etc.

Some of the modes like Pro Low Light are very useful indoors. You can get some shots in terrible lighting handheld that you could only shoot with a tripod on other cameras. But, you have to practice with it to get the most out of the camera where the FZ35 you can just put it on auto and pull the trigger most of the time.

Last edited by OnTheWeb; Sep 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
OnTheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:53 PM   #13

You may want to look at this sticky Hards posted about the exr to get the best results.

F70EXR Settings Update (applicable for all EXR cams)
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:03 AM   #14

The images look good but they are a bit over sharpened (for my taste).

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote