Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:07 PM   #1
Default compact p/S, Full 1080p, low light, Wide Angle??

Need compact size, maybe slightly bigger,
Excellent low light (w/o flash)
Full 1080p video

Was looking at new
Panasonic FX700
Sony HX5V

Am hesitant on Panasonic "Touch Screen", may be unusable in sunlight, and maybe glitchy...

jlm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, excellent low light image quality without flash in a compact, well you are going to have to think in relative terms and not absolute terms, as there is no compact that features excellent low-light without flash image quality, but some do better than others. and then you are going to have to be lenient on the video specs.

the closest thing is Panasonics LX5, has a 24mm wide angle lens with 3.8x zoom (to 90mm), has a high sensitivity and larger (for a compact) 10mp sensor that does better than other compacts in low light. the video is AVCHD Lite, but at 720p.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:50 AM   #3

The backlit CMOS cameras you mentioned are only going to give you slightly improved low-light compared competing cameras w/a similarly sized CCD sensor. Neither of them is going to give you excellent low-light shots or even good low-light shots.

The Panasonic LX5 (as mentioned above) or Canon S95 would probably be your best bets. They both have 720p, a much larger sensor and a faster lens.
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote