Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1

Default Nikon D3X DSLR model - Please help!

Lost my Camera (Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR) in Japan when I traveled to that country last month. I am thinking about buying another one (prefer a Nikon D3X DSLR model)

Checked online on a price comparison shopping site and found a few. What confuses me is the price difference of over $1,000 on exactly the same camera. I like quality things, but I don't want to pay ove $1,000 extra on anything. Any ideas?

Here are a few Nikon D3X DSLR models and you may notice the price difference.

http://www.pricetake.com/result.html...3X+DSLR+Camera

Thanks for all your help.
everbrightgps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Buy from a reputable store.

Make sure you are not getting a gray-market import which doesn't have a manufacturers warrantee.

Once you do that the price differences shrink right down to a couple of hundred dollars at most.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it is. Make sure you check out resellerratings.com before purchasing anything.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Buy from a reputable store.

Make sure you are not getting a gray-market import which doesn't have a manufacturers warrantee.

Once you do that the price differences shrink right down to a couple of hundred dollars at most.

If a deal looks too good to be true, it is. Make sure you check out resellerratings.com before purchasing anything.
The website compares and finds the lowest price on the same item from folks like Amazon, ebay, Walmart, Sears, Target and a few others
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:35 PM   #4

Amazon is very good, but some of their retailers aren't. The same goes for eBay.

Find out who the actual vendor is, and check them at http://www.resellerratings.com
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

And following through some of those low prices we get to the sharks like Camerakings.com check them out on resellerratings. The cheapest was a thousand dollars below average , but it was camerakings.

To repeat, if there is an offer that is more than a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, then be VERY careful, chances are there is something wrong with the deal!

There are NO ultra-cheap deals to be had.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Just forgetting where to buy it from for a minute, the D3X is a major jump from the T2i and sure we would all prefer it

Unless shooting professionally it's a lot of camera, and you need to spend a lot on glass to get the most out of it. I would be looking at a D700 which is still a vast step up from the T2i and again spending out on the right glass, pretty much the 24-70mm f2.8 is the standard option and if you want telephoto then a 70-200mm f2.8. Don't forget with both of these you are looking full frame so you are getting the wider field of view by 1.6x compared to what you had.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
And following through some of those low prices we get to the sharks like Camerakings.com check them out on resellerratings. The cheapest was a thousand dollars below average , but it was camerakings.

To repeat, if there is an offer that is more than a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, then be VERY careful, chances are there is something wrong with the deal!

There are NO ultra-cheap deals to be had.
Thanks for the advice
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Just forgetting where to buy it from for a minute, the D3X is a major jump from the T2i and sure we would all prefer it

Unless shooting professionally it's a lot of camera, and you need to spend a lot on glass to get the most out of it. I would be looking at a D700 which is still a vast step up from the T2i and again spending out on the right glass, pretty much the 24-70mm f2.8 is the standard option and if you want telephoto then a 70-200mm f2.8. Don't forget with both of these you are looking full frame so you are getting the wider field of view by 1.6x compared to what you had.
Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Amazon is very good, but some of their retailers aren't. The same goes for eBay.

Find out who the actual vendor is, and check them at http://www.resellerratings.com
Thanks for help
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post

Thanks