Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:54 AM   #1
Default Camera suggestions for a blog

Hi all,

I'm shopping for a new compact camera and will be using it mainly to take pictures for my beauty blog. That means this camera will be used mainly indoors (sometimes in low light) to photograph still products. Very accurate colours and skin tone are important to properly represent the products and my face when I'm testing them. In the future I might start making videos, so a camera that has decent video will be a bonus.

My very upper limit in terms of budget is about $350--I would be more comfortable around $230-299 but am willing to spend a little extra if you guys think it's worth it.

The cameras I'm most interested in so far are the Canon PowerShot SD3500IS, Canon PowerShot SX210IS and Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX1. Are there any other cameras out there that fit my criteria? (Hopefully I've given enough info.) Side-question: Right now the SD3500 and SX210 are about the same price so I wonder which of the two suits my needs better?

Thanks very much :>
serika is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:47 AM   #2

My only comment is that you are hoping for accurate colours. You'll need to learn about calibration. Of your monitor at a minimum. And also acccept that other people's monitors are not calibrated. So the colours you see may not be what they see. And if anyone prints, no bets will be taken.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

The application that you describe is measurably demanding. Perhaps you could get by with a Canon SX-130 but you will have lighting downsides, plus you would have slow shutter speeds and possible blurring. Your proposed application, if you want the very best results, should be handled with either a Nikon P-7000, a Canon G-11 or G-12, or even an entry level DSLR camera.

You will really want a camera with a hot shoe as bounce flash lighting will provide the most attract results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Super Moderator

you are asking a lot of a camera, and in that price range you are really not going to get what you are after.

to do it right you would want a dslr a flash and some experience using it. you may be able to get by with a better compact (ie the g11/12, p7000 mentioned above) with a ttl flash mounted, but you aren't saving much money over an entry level dslr/flash.

with your budget, you are only going to get snapshot quality shots in the conditions you are mentioning.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote