Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1

Default cmos vs CCD vs BSI-cmos ... what better and for what use?

hi to all,

this time i'm trying to found the better price-value cam for my needs, at this moment the camera than is winning is the fuji finepix HS10, however a big part for i bet to this camera is for the extra functions of video recording, but analising the type of sensor, i was found than the cmos sensors have the rolling effect, and searching samples in youtube are a lot of difference recording with cmos and ccd.

so i wish to know your opinion, and if exist some similar cam with zoom & focus in manual mode with a ccd sensor than can record full hd video.

thanks.
clonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

ccd has a downside in video as well, as it can show vertical light banding in areas of intense light.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:17 PM   #3

However, there is indeed more to the discussion, than just that post.

I know that Dustin/Hards was very well intended, but thus far in terms of camera development, that the CCD imager, at least for still photos, has been the most reliable of the various imagers.

BSI-CMOS imagers have a lesser track record. Yes, BSI-CMOS imagers enhance the video capabilities, but my personal focus is on still photos, not video capabilities. So at least for now, let evaluate this on the basis of still photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:27 PM   #4

CDD do not perform as well as cmos in higher iso.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:59 PM   #5

But overall, a CCD based camera will provide better image quality. BSI_CMOS imagers have a long way to go before they equal the CCD based cameras over the entire spectrum of shooting.

Perhaps with another 2 to 3 years the BSI-CMOS imager cameras will cover the entire camera spectrum. Until then they only shine in certain small areas, rather than over the normal spectrum that most folks use their camer for on an every day basis.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Super Moderator

just to be clear my comment was for CCD in video as per the o.p.

for a compact camera, i don't see that there is a huge difference between cmos and ccd for still images, from the panny fz40 vs fz100 in the small form the ccd probably wins out. just the cmos transfers data faster for better burst opportunity and video capabilities (with the rolling shutter caveat)

but as you move into the dslr range of larger sensors, the cmos has largely taken over due the better high iso capabilities and the capability for increased fps. but for pure image quality at low iso the ccd probably still holds a slight edge (as why we see the ccd still in use for larger formats, where quick shooting and high iso arent a priority)

by and large we are in a transition phase. and at a point where other features of a compact camera would impact your decision more than simply if the sensor is ccd vs cmos.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:10 AM   #7

Well phrased, Dustin-

I agree that the BSI-CMOS will continue its development and be the eventual winner, but it will take some time. In DSLR cameras CMOS rules. But then I guess development is a constant feature of photography.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:03 AM   #8

I see than the best canon cameras have CMOS sensor like Mark 3 cameras, also I was viewed in youtube the versus between the 2 sensors recording video and the cmos have an ugly rolling effect than ccd haven't.

someone can explain why is caused this effect by cmos? another point of view of this sensors?

thanks a lot!
clonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:12 AM   #9

cmos lets them perform at higher iso, like 3200 and above. That is why it is the dominate sensor type in dslr. All the dslr that shoots over 3200iso only use cmos.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:41 PM   #10

The CCD sensor is still superior, however the CMOS/BSI-CMOS sensors are catching up fast.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote