Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:38 AM   #1
Default What dslr works with film slr Kyocera lenses?

I have an old Yashica 300 auto focus film slr and 2 Kyocera lenses:70-210, 28-70 mm. Will the lenses fit on any new dslr?
jayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:55 AM   #2

With an adapter, they will work on any Canon EOS body.

(as will most other mounts without any problem, perversely, except for old Canon FD lenses which don't focus to infinity without optical correction).
dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:48 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

While there are indeed adapters, most adapters do NOT allow auto focus and auto exposure. I would guess that the two lens you have (1) were designed for a full frame 35mm film camera, so to find their true focal length with the APS-C imager found on most entry level DSLR cameras you would have to multiply the labeled focal length by 1.5 to get a corrected focal length. (2) Therefore, the 70-210mm = 105-305mm and the 28-70mm = 42-105mm. Those would not particularly be very good focal lengths, and there would be no wide angle available. (3) Those focal lengths were mass produced for full frame 35mm film cameras and might not have enough optical quality to justify purchasing the adapter.

IMO I would ignore those two lenses as they are of questionable value and shop for the DSLR model that you want.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

There is no digital camera that uses the Contax/Yashika mount. Adapters are available, but honestly those lenses are unlikely to be worth the cost of the adapter.

You'd be much better off getting a two-lens kit with the camera purchase from one of the modern manufacturers. Sell the old camera with its lenses or keep them together as a set if you might use them still.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote