Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:06 AM   #1
Default Upgrading to a new Point and Shoot

Ten years ago I purchased my first Digital camera, a Cannon Powershot, 3 megapixels. Sucks through 4 double A batteries even just sitting on the shelf. Fits in your palm, but too bulky to put in a pocket.

Now I'm in the market to buy a new camera. Pretty much everything on the market is better then what I have now, so it's a bit overwhelming. I'm hoping people can help narrow down my quest. These are the features I'm looking for.

*I have a budget of $200 or less.
*Small: I would like something that can slip into a pocket easily. Nice and thin.
*Multiple Modes: I like to have multiple modes, and even the ability to change settings like focus, apeture, shutter speed, etc (I don't use them that often, but I like having them handy). Panarama mode would be handy.
*Movies: HD or SD is fine, being able to go more then just 3 minutes would be handy.
*Zoom: I tend to go to sporting events and taking pictures from far away is the norm.
*'Quick': Again, at sporting events I sometimes want to take multiple pictures in a row. Having a camera that takes 5 seconds to process each picture would be a hassle.
*A Friend of mine mentioned that I should be looking for Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority modes as well. Honestly, I'm not familiar with those much

I took a look at the Canon Powershot (A1300?) at my local best buy and I did like the size. I'm aware that I probably can't find a camera that has every single feature I want, but the more the merrier. I'm not a camera professional, just someone who wants to take pictures, and occasionally uses extra features.

Thanks for any help.
Mr_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:29 AM   #2

panorama is only available on Sony pocket cams. Other manufacturers, such as Fuji, only include the feature in their larger cameras. As for 'quick', that would likely involve a CMOS-based camera if you want more than a couple shots in succession at full resolution.

Check out the Canon SD4500.

Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion, but that ones a tad bit out of my price range:/

I have noticed several of the cameras have a 'burst' mode, that might fit my 'quick' needs. (and if I'm really that desperate, movie mode could take over)
Mr_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:45 PM   #4

Well dude, I really think you should increase your budget to at least 300$, that is if you want features like extended zoom, manual mode, HD movies, Intelligent Panorama etc !

I really can't think of a camera that has all those features and costs less than 300$ !

The Canon mentioned above is a really good camera, but as you said, the price tag is too high...
Sony α
Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:32 PM   #5

Look at the Kodak 950 around $150,it might serve your requirements
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:06 PM   #6

how big is your pocket? the kodak Z915 is bigger than a typical pocket camera, but it fits in my pockets okay. on the other hand, if you wear tight pants it would probably not fit. image quality is good, it's easy to use and it costs only around $100. it has stabilization, good color and 10x zoom. it also has all the modes found on most larger cameras - full PASM. videos look good but aren't HD. i haven't found it to be particularly slow using my class 6 cards but i haven't used burst mode.

Last edited by pcake; Oct 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote