Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Default Insurance

My daughter is buying the T1i and mine is under 30 days old. We are interested in insurance on the camera and lenses. I know I've seen on this forum in the past that there is a 3rd party insurance site, but I can't find the thread that talked about it. Is it wise to have insurance and where should I look for a good policy? Any help would be appreciated.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:25 PM   #2

not looked into insurance myself but might be worth checking with your house insurance - if you have contents insurance it MIGHT be covered or it might be possible to add it to the house insurance for a relatively small amount
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:08 PM   #3

Homeowner's, Renter's, and sometimes even Auto insurance will cover a camera and lenses. But, of course, the deductible applies.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:53 PM   #4

There are 3 problems with using basic homeowners:
1) limitation of coverage - basic homeowners might not cover damages when you're on vacation in another state and drop your camera off the boat into the ocean.
2) deductible - often $500 or higher.
3) claims against your homeowners are risky because, well, you can end up getting dropped or see your rates go up.

You want either a separate policy (State Farm offers a personal articles policy) or a rider on your homeowners if it's offered. The concept is the same - you list out specific items that are covered, show proof of purchase and those specific items are covered. I use state farm now. No deductible and no affect to my homeowners policy because of claim (I actually had to make a claim a month after I got the policy) You'd have to check with your insurance company to see if they offer a rider and what it covers vs. basic homeowners.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:47 PM   #5

I came across this a while ago...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:05 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I have it from a 3rd party for the reasons john states, also I need liability insurance in case my activities at a wedding or sports event injure someone or damage property. There are other benefits I have such as loan equipment etc but these latter things won't affect a casual shooter.

Would I have it if I didn't shoot the sort of things I do? Depends on the value of my kit and the policy cost.I pay more a year for camera insurance than my car insurance.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:03 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I pay more a year for camera insurance than my car insurance.
One of the reasons I don't do steady professional work anymore. Between taxes and the cost of professional insurance, it really wasn't worth it. But, that's the difference between sports and wedding (which also explains why you're doing wedding work moreso than sports )
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote