Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:14 AM   #1
Default The usual - advice for entry level stuff

Hi everyone,

The usual sort of question follows - what should I get?

I'd like to get an entry level DSLR and some basic kit to tinker with. My wife and I already own a Canon 300D (the original Rebel) bought some 7 years ago with its EFS 18-55 lens. We very recently received an EF 90-300 USM from a generous relative who was upgrading (which we haven't used much...). Neither of us claim to have much photography experience, but would like to improve this as a hobby in the next few years. We mainly take photos when travelling and at the odd social function, but would appreciate versatility. A second camera would allow us to both play!

Other than the two lenses, we have no real connection to a particular brand, though I'd rather go with Canon or Nikon.

The question is then: what is a good basic set-up? I would like:

1. A decent camera body
2. A versatile single lens for travelling
3. A useful small flash
4. A remote release (because of tremor...)
5. Possibly a cheap-ish prime / narrow focal range lens for close indoors low-light photos (not sure if this is getting too 'advanced' at this stage)

I've been eyeing the Canon 550D, Nikon D3100, and Nikon D90 (relatively comparable in price). Video capability is not a real concern. User-friendliness is.

Although budget is not a huge issue, I don't see the point in paying for advanced kit when we're still learning to take advantage of the basic models.

Suggestions please!
Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:41 AM   #2

Hi the three you have suggested cover the things you want. As you use canon now maybe the T2i is the best bet, it will take excellent shots and canon has a huge lens selection. It will take a flash again lots to choose nissin di622 is cheap easy to use. Yes there are remotes for it and as I said before good choice of lenses,
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote