Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Sony NEX series?

Are the Sony NEX series worth it? I currently have a Panny FZ35, but it pains me that I can't fit it in my pocket.
jasonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:31 PM   #2

If you can't fit an FZ35 in your pocket, a NEX won't fit either unless you remove the lens and put it in another pocket.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... a NEX won't fit either ...
Well, If you push in 16mm will fit in.
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:49 AM   #4

If you are looking for interchangeable, compact-sized, anyway-larger-sensor-than-M43 camera, I think NEX is at least considerable.

Ah and if you want superzoom or telephoto, Go for DSLR.
I think Tele on Mirrorless makes 'Interchangeable Body Lens'
not 'Interchangeable Lens Camera'.
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:07 PM   #5

I own an FZ35 and Nex 5 (18-55mm lens), and the answer to your question depends on what you want. If you want excellent image quality (IQ) in even low light and using high ISO (without flash), the Nex, with its large APS-C sensor, is comparable to Canon's T2i. In other words, IQ is excellent. The Nex has less noise at ISO1600 (and maybe even ISO3200) than the Panasonic has at anything over ISO100.

If you generally shoot in very good lighting conditions, and can keep the Panasonic's ISO set to no more than 200, the super-zoom is a very nice feature.

As for video, the Nex does better in lower light and captures usable video in even very low light (for example, outside at night under a single 40W fluorescent bulb). And while I am very pleased with the FZ35ís video performance, the Nex is significantly better.

All other things (shutter lag, AF speed, ease of use) are all about equal (granted you've installed V3 of the Nex firmware).

Both are excellent cameras. Although I already owned the FZ35, I purchased a Nex because I wanted to be able to shoot inside without a flash, and I wanted the significantly better IQ offered by Sony's APS-C sensor. However, I still have some very nice images that I captured with my Panasonic and will let one of my kids shoot with the Panasonic on family vacations.

In short, if I had to choose only one camera, I would go with the Nex as for me, it is all about IQ, and while the Sony is comparable to the T2i, the Panasonic doesn't hold a candle to either in the vast majority of shooting conditions.

By the way, the Sony with the 18-55mm lens is very close to the same size as the FZ-35.
lporrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by albi1215 View Post
... if you want superzoom or telephoto, Go for DSLR. I think Tele on Mirrorless makes 'Interchangeable Body Lens' not 'Interchangeable Lens Camera'.
A "superzoom" for the Nex and Micro 4/3 cameras are comparable to what you'd find with a DSLR. In fact, I am currently using a Canon 70-200mm on my Nex.
lporrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:10 PM   #7

The nex will out shoot a fz in iq without a second thought, especially in low light. The nex does well up to 3200iso. That is 3 full iso stops in performance. Also it does capture much better details. But it is a larger system, not a pocket camera.

Panasonic just came out with the gf2, it is slightly larger then the lx5 with the pancake lens so it is more of a pocket camera, but now zoom.

If you want to add a zoom to the nex, you have the sony 18-200mm HD lens, for 800 bucks. And with it on, it will not be a pocket camera for sure. It will give you 300mm of reach.

With the gf2 you can add the 100-300mm or the 14-140mm giving you 200-600mm or 28-280. But the nex will out preform the panny in low light. from 100-800iso they are very similar, but pass 800iso the panny gh2 will fall off.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:52 PM   #8
Administrator

Click on the link or image below to see our NEX-5 Review (it's now online).

Sony NEX-5
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:53 AM   #9

Thanks for all the insight you guys have provided. Here's what's currently on my mind:

I don't use the FZ35 to it's full 18x zoom in 90% of the situations I use it, most of the time, 10x seems like more then enough. The problem with the FZ35 is that I've been taking a lot of indoor shots lately and I'm not too pleased with the quality of the shots without flash. To solve for IQ, that's where the NEX-3 might come into play. I'm actually surprised that such a good camera isn't being discussed in this forum any more than it currently is.

That would leave me with my outdoor, underwater, throwaway Fuji z33wp and an NEX-3 main camera.
jasonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:30 AM   #10

jasonkd, it sounds as if you haven't had a nex-? in your hands. go to a store and try one. i found the combination of little body and big (well aps-c sized) lens just didn't leave me enough room for my fingers. hold it in your right hand and then zoom a bit with your left. hands collide. deal breaker for me. and just a small point but you did mention indoor shots. it doesn't have a hot shoe.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote